Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Buzzing type sound coming from under hood.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Hoodoo Creek is on a distinguished road
Hoodoo Creek's Tacoma Gallery
Buzzing type sound coming from under hood.

So after I drove my truck home after purchasing it, and turning the key off, I notice that there was an intermittent buzzing sound coming from a box looking thing over the drivers front fender. Surprisingly, after the truck has been sitting for several days now, I went out and it's still making the buzzing sound. Sounds like a bumble bee buzzing for just a second, then pauses for about 30 seconds then buzzes again. What could this be?
Old 06-29-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
A photo of the 'thing' would help
Old 06-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
Normal (usually), it is the "charcoal canister", a system to control evaporative emissions from the fuel tank. The noise is just a check valve fluttering as pressure changes in the tank.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tan4x4 View Post
A photo of the 'thing' would help

I pulled this photo off the web, but I circled the box I'm talking about.........
Attached Thumbnails
Buzzing type sound coming from under hood.-fuffu.jpg  
Old 06-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
POINT ONE %ER
Dirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty Pool is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Dirty Pool's Tacoma Gallery
After some thought I recall a TSB about this. Turns out there was.
The noise is totally harmless but Toyota came up with a fix. Unfortunately the part is no longer available. It was nothing more than a 50cc box spliced into one of the canister lines. You will have to get creative and mimic the part. It is just a little chamber to "smooth" the vapor flow.
Here is the TSB and a write up on it's install. If you go this route, install it as close as possible to the canister, like in the TSB below. Newer models have the "box" glued right onto the round part of the canister.
https://sites.google.com/site/bugeye...unner-evapbuzz

I used the shell of a cartridge type fuel filter (with out the cartridge) as a "catch can" on the vent line from my front diff. That's another story but something similar, maybe a tad larger, could be spliced into the canister line as a buzz kill.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Hey, thanks Dirty Pool. I'm relieved! I kinda like that bumble bee sound so I think I'm going to just leave it as is. I've got more questions and I gotta tell you that I'm really enjoying this forum almost as much as my truck!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
My '99 has that new feature built-in. My guess is, they made the fix beginning in 1998 models