1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Buzzing type sound coming from under hood.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Hoodoo Creek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Jun 28, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    So after I drove my truck home after purchasing it, and turning the key off, I notice that there was an intermittent buzzing sound coming from a box looking thing over the drivers front fender. Surprisingly, after the truck has been sitting for several days now, I went out and it's still making the buzzing sound. Sounds like a bumble bee buzzing for just a second, then pauses for about 30 seconds then buzzes again. What could this be? :)

2. Jun 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    A photo of the 'thing' would help

3. Jun 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Normal (usually), it is the "charcoal canister", a system to control evaporative emissions from the fuel tank. The noise is just a check valve fluttering as pressure changes in the tank.

4. Jun 29, 2013 at 10:28 AM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's

I pulled this photo off the web, but I circled the box I'm talking about.........

fuffu.jpg

5. Jun 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Yep, that's the beast.

6. Jun 29, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    Dirty Pool

Member:
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    After some thought I recall a TSB about this. Turns out there was.
    The noise is totally harmless but Toyota came up with a fix. Unfortunately the part is no longer available. It was nothing more than a 50cc box spliced into one of the canister lines. You will have to get creative and mimic the part. It is just a little chamber to "smooth" the vapor flow.
    Here is the TSB and a write up on it's install. If you go this route, install it as close as possible to the canister, like in the TSB below. Newer models have the "box" glued right onto the round part of the canister.
    https://sites.google.com/site/bugeyebug/4runner-evapbuzz

I used the shell of a cartridge type fuel filter (with out the cartridge) as a "catch can" on the vent line from my front diff. That's another story but something similar, maybe a tad larger, could be spliced into the canister line as a buzz kill.:rolleyes:

CAN-1_d33909742c6aad8f1da7d2b71084e007b7fe02c8.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  7. Jun 29, 2013 at 10:25 PM
    Hoodoo Creek

Hoodoo Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    All Toyota's
    Hey, thanks Dirty Pool. I'm relieved! I kinda like that bumble bee sound so I think I'm going to just leave it as is.:D I've got more questions and I gotta tell you that I'm really enjoying this forum almost as much as my truck!;)

bigmw likes this.
  8. Jun 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    yup. a ton of people, have it (i do) and once i realized it was just another noise the truck makes, i stopped caring.

TwoStickTrick likes this.
  9. Jun 30, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    My '99 has that new feature built-in. My guess is, they made the fix beginning in 1998 models

[​IMG]

10. Feb 25, 2020 at 9:21 PM
    Bizzabeth

Bizzabeth New Member

Member:
    Homer, AK
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    I started noticing this buzz in my charcoal canister too. Think it's related to the check engine light coming on?

wilcam47 likes this.
  11. Feb 25, 2020 at 9:27 PM
    billybop90

billybop90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Black Hills SD
    Vehicle:
    1996 Taco, 2.7, 4WD, 5 spd
    When I found out what it was the noise did not bother me anymore. Niece kept telling me my truck like's to fart a lot, for a while I had no clue.

Bizzabeth likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top