Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rough idle and wont rev over 2100 RPM after intake gaskets replaced

Old 06-29-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
freeone56 is on a distinguished road
Navy:
freeone56's Tacoma Gallery
Rough idle and wont rev over 2100 RPM after intake gaskets replaced

I got a lean number 1 cylinder bank code with CEL on my 99 tacoma with the 3.4. I checked the intake manifold gaskets and replaced them. They were falling apart. Replaced the plenum gaskets also. Tried to clean the throttle body and IAC with gasoline because I didn't have throttle body cleaner and no ride to town. Now it starts up OK but idles rough and wont rev over 2100 RPMs. What did I mess up that would cause these symptoms? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
JudoJohn is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
JudoJohn's Tacoma Gallery
did you disconnect the battery before you did the work? try doing this now and let it reset for 1/2 an hour.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudoJohn View Post
did you disconnect the battery before you did the work? try doing this now and let it reset for 1/2 an hour.
First thank you for replying to my post. I did disconnect the battery and the TPS at two different times and let it set for about an hour. Didnt get any codes after the battery disconnect, but did when I disconnected the TPS. After doing more research I'm under the impression that I may have messed up the TPS by not removing it from the throttle body when I cleaned the throttle body. They are reasonably cheap so I will proly replace it. Does it sound like I'm on the right track.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Sounds like a tps problem, maybe a MAF issue. Did you clean the MAF with gasoline?
I didn't clean the MAF this time. I did a month or so ago but I used MAF cleaner. I think you are right about the TPS. I understand it isn't supposed to be cleaned just replaced. Going to replace the TPS next. Hope that fixes it.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #7
Navy:
Wont rev over 2100

I checked the TPS. It is in spec as far as ohms. Lastly I checked the MAF sensor and it seemed a little dirty. I cleaned it and it appears that was what was messing up the rpms. Seems to run fine now, but im waiting on my K&N air filter to dry so I can re-oil it and test drive it. I think with the air intake tube off the air box it collected some dust from the wind even though I had tried to cover it with a clean rag. Man it had me stumped and it turned out to be simple. Thanks guys for all your help. I sure learned a lot with this seemingly simple intake gasket replacement.

Freeone
Old 07-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeone56 View Post
I checked the TPS. It is in spec as far as ohms. Lastly I checked the MAF sensor and it seemed a little dirty. I cleaned it and it appears that was what was messing up the rpms. Seems to run fine now, but im waiting on my K&N air filter to dry so I can re-oil it and test drive it. I think with the air intake tube off the air box it collected some dust from the wind even though I had tried to cover it with a clean rag. Man it had me stumped and it turned out to be simple. Thanks guys for all your help. I sure learned a lot with this seemingly simple intake gasket replacement.

Freeone
Glad it was something simple! Over oiling The k&n can dirty the MAF pretty quick, oil gets on it and so does dust n stuff