Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rattling supercharger

Old 02-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
danj is on a distinguished road
danj's Tacoma Gallery
Rattling supercharger

I have a 2004 Tacoma with the TRD supercharger. I've noticed a rattling sound coming from the back of it. I diagnosed the problem and the bearings that the spinners seat into in the back of the supercharger are bad. I called TRD (3 times) and they told me that I can't buy them. Basically they said I can't fix it. I'm finding it hard to beleive that I'm the only one that has had to go through this. Has anyone had to deal with this before, and how have you fixed it?
Old 02-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to Tacoma World!

Someone out there sells a rebuild kit, but I cant remember who. Also, Last I heard, Eaton will rebuild it for a nominal fee.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Some things that might help
http://www.yotatech.com/f39/magnuson...rebuild-57364/
http://blog.185performance.com/archi...r-rebuild.html
Looks like it has to be sent in to Mangunson.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #4
Gadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shedGadget@URD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gadget@URD's Tacoma Gallery
If you need that thing overhauled, call my good friend Ed at www.PSE.us.

Tell Ed that Gadget from URD sent you. He can get you fixed up very fast and has the best prices around.

Gadget
Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
danj's Tacoma Gallery
You guys are the best. I found PSE and they seem like a great solution, if I can afford the $700 cost plus shipping. I am very capable of doing the rebuild myself if I can find a kit. I will try the Ebay option first, and if I don't have any luck, I'll do PSE. Thanks again for the suggestions, and if anyone else has any input, I'd love to hear it.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danj View Post
You guys are the best. I found PSE and they seem like a great solution, if I can afford the $700 cost plus shipping. I am very capable of doing the rebuild myself if I can find a kit. I will try the Ebay option first, and if I don't have any luck, I'll do PSE. Thanks again for the suggestions, and if anyone else has any input, I'd love to hear it.
From what I understand, the rear bearings are not servicable, so it HAS to be sent in. On the upside, you get back a virtually new SC.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member
Bsaint21 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Gunners mate
Bsaint21's Tacoma Gallery
yeah but why the hell should anyone have to put up with a brand new supercharger that is already broke dick??? Fuck that I would be pissed. If TRD is that unreliable then I just wont buy their products EVER. Cheap products that sell is called a fuckin rip off. Thanks for the update dude. I might just go with another product now. lol
Old 02-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsaint21 View Post
yeah but why the hell should anyone have to put up with a brand new supercharger that is already broke dick??? Fuck that I would be pissed. If TRD is that unreliable then I just wont buy their products EVER. Cheap products that sell is called a fuckin rip off. Thanks for the update dude. I might just go with another product now. lol
Didnt see his supercharger on his '04 was brand new.....
Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
danj's Tacoma Gallery
Hi guys, Sorry, I haven't been checking this. I saw the reply from Bsaint21 and to just fill you in, my truck has 105,000 miles on it. I am a little upset that I have to rebuild it, but the most upsetting part is that TRD didn't even give me an option for a fix. I had to go out and find one myself.

Despite this problem, when I buy a new Tacoma, I will get another TRD supercharger. It has been well worth the money. All parts will need service at some point or another,and you just need to take the good with the bad.

Thanks again for all the coments.