Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

O2 sensor question

Old 06-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
Bernard is on a distinguished road
Name: Bernard
Bernard's Tacoma Gallery
O2 sensor question

Hiya! My 2003 Tacoma (2.4L, automatic) has recently begun having intermittent PO135 OBD2 alarms...the upstream O2 sensor. What I'm curious about is are these things different for California based vehicles? I'd like to just order a Denso sensor online, pop it in, and not have any future issues. Anyone know if they're the same nationwide? Thanks in advance!
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure about your question but if you do order, rockauto.com has the best prices I've found for OEM 02 sensors. Just an FYI
Old 06-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Mainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMainmoe02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Moe
Mainmoe02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
^x2 on rockauto! And in 01' all tacomas became California emmissions, so all the sensors are the same
Front and rear are the same?
Old 06-30-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainmoe02 View Post
Front and rear are the same?
No, I'm saying there is no federal emmissions or California emmissions sensor, they're all just California. Idk if there is a difference between the two in the first place though..
Old 07-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
Bernard's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks, guys! I'll go ahead and order an O2 sensor today.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, I'm saying there is no federal emmissions or California emmissions sensor, they're all just California. Idk if there is a difference between the two in the first place though..
There is a difference. My 2000 is a California build but it is a Federal Emission for as 02 sensors. I bought mine on RockAuto my self but the wire connectors are made different for Federal versus California. The support from RockAuto is excellent it took about 15min. to get it figured out over the phone and then it was sent on its way in the mail. Plus Federal emissions 02 sensors or about half the price of California 02 sensors.

Sittingbull2
Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingbull2 View Post
There is a difference. My 2000 is a California build but it is a Federal Emission for as 02 sensors. I bought mine on RockAuto my self but the wire connectors are made different for Federal versus California. The support from RockAuto is excellent it took about 15min. to get it figured out over the phone and then it was sent on its way in the mail. Plus Federal emissions 02 sensors or about half the price of California 02 sensors.

Sittingbull2
I said for 01-04's not 96-00
Op has an 03
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #10
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I said for 01-04's not 96-00
Op has an 03
I know what he said and you said I can read but you said you didn't know if there is a difference between the 2 and I just went through this. I received California emission 02 sensors when I tried hooking it up it wouldn't work because the connectors are different. I personally don't know when they changed from federal to all California type. But there is a difference.
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittingbull2 View Post
I know what he said and you said I can read but you said you didn't know if there is a difference between the 2 and I just went through this. I received California emission 02 sensors when I tried hooking it up it wouldn't work because the connectors are different. I personally don't know when they changed from federal to all California type. But there is a difference.
The change 'twas in 01, all Toyotas became California rated. I said that before, I just didn't want the op to become confused when you said there is a difference, but for his truck there is not.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Bernard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just didn't want the op to become confused...
Nah, at age 67 the CRS & confusion just make daily life more interesting!

I ordered a Denso 234-9002 O2 sensor from Rock Auto.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
Bernard's Tacoma Gallery
Update:
Rock Auto delivery was very quick, the next day in fact. I decided to try changing the O2 sensor today, but I'm having problems getting my oversize mitts in there to disconnect the wiring connector. I'm guessing a small screwdriver will work, but the area is so crammed with steel tubing that I can't reach the connector with one. It looks like I need to remove the steel mount which holds the connector, or else pop loose the plastic connector bottom from the mount with some needle nose pliers.
Any handy hints to get at that lil bugger?
Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
Update:
Rock Auto delivery was very quick, the next day in fact. I decided to try changing the O2 sensor today, but I'm having problems getting my oversize mitts in there to disconnect the wiring connector. I'm guessing a small screwdriver will work, but the area is so crammed with steel tubing that I can't reach the connector with one. It looks like I need to remove the steel mount which holds the connector, or else pop loose the plastic connector bottom from the mount with some needle nose pliers.
Any handy hints to get at that lil bugger?
Are you underneath?

I had a manual when I changed mine - and had to remove the shifter boot/cover to access the wiring from inside the truck. I don't know if that'll help you on an Auto or not.
Old 07-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Are you underneath?

I had a manual when I changed mine - and had to remove the shifter boot/cover to access the wiring from inside the truck. I don't know if that'll help you on an Auto or not.
I just did mine (5Spd) and went through the shift boot as well.