Notices

Play in new Bilstein shocks

Old 07-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #1
stagermx317 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Tech School Instructor
Name: Justin
stagermx317's Tacoma Gallery
Play in new Bilstein shocks

Hey guys I need some help, I just replaced the front shocks on my 95 Taco 4x4 and when I did, i think there were 2 sets of bushings that came off the originals. I can only find the one set now and I ended up only finding where the one bushing goes on in between 2 washers before the top nut goes on to secure the spring to the shock. The new Bilsteins came with no new hardware except a new nut to secure the shock. I realized this was a problem after only installing the top bushing and taking the truck for a test drive and I realized some metal clanking noise. When i got out and bounced up and down on the front suspension I saw that when the shock compresses that there is play in it where the top nut is secured. I have looked everywhere for replacement bushings and can't find where anything resembles what came from the oem shocks.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Old N.R.A. Hippy
Sittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSittingbull2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mitch
Sittingbull2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagermx317 View Post
Hey guys I need some help, I just replaced the front shocks on my 95 Taco 4x4 and when I did, i think there were 2 sets of bushings that came off the originals. I can only find the one set now and I ended up only finding where the one bushing goes on in between 2 washers before the top nut goes on to secure the spring to the shock. The new Bilsteins came with no new hardware except a new nut to secure the shock. I realized this was a problem after only installing the top bushing and taking the truck for a test drive and I realized some metal clanking noise. When i got out and bounced up and down on the front suspension I saw that when the shock compresses that there is play in it where the top nut is secured. I have looked everywhere for replacement bushings and can't find where anything resembles what came from the oem shocks.
Tried Parts Geek or Rock Auto? Autozone O'Reilly's or Dealership
Old 07-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
Junk yard or dealership...Rock Auto probably a good bet...

Just a curious question, why did you put it back together one side right and the other obviously wrong?

just be careful if you are still driving it, could punch through the fender if you have a failure....
Old 07-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
stagermx317 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Tech School Instructor
Name: Justin
stagermx317's Tacoma Gallery
I took it apart a month ago with my brother, and then I got the coil springs re powder coated. When I went to put it back together I noticed that there was a larger bushing and a smaller one for one and just the smaller one for the other side, so I lost the other larger one. When i put them back together i didn't even see where the larger bushing would fit on, so I just installed the smaller bushing right below the nut that holds tension on the shock. It seemed all tight when everything was put back together with tension on the spring until i took it for the test drive. I didn't see the bushings on rockauto or autozone's website or ebay. I did find them on this link though

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/9504tacoadjbils.htm