Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Location of airbag control module

Old 07-01-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
dapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud of

Army: PowerPoint Ranger
Name: David
dapetik's Tacoma Gallery
Location of airbag control module

I know the airbag control module is located either under the center console OR under the dash. Don't want to take apart both hopefully someone else has removed it. (Yes, I've searched the forum)
Old 07-01-2013, 08:38 AM   #2
fizzlebag is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: TC
fizzlebag's Tacoma Gallery
I think it's behind the cubby hole below the climate controls. Check out this thread, he has some pictures of it from a CB install.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...on-detail.html
Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #4
dapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud ofdapetik has much to be proud of

dapetik's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the replies, that will save me some work!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

dapetik's Tacoma Gallery
So I got the cover with the cigarette lighters off. Here is what is behind it. Are there three bolts holding down the computer?
Attached Thumbnails
Location of airbag control module-20130702_205129.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Wait WTH is going on in here! May I ask why you are removing that?? And why did you already unplug the harness'? Im no expert, but I do know a little something about air bag... And that's to NOT MESS WITH THEM! These things kill people! And if you don't know what your doing I highly recommend you stop and figure it out before you proceed. Just my suggestion.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #7

dapetik's Tacoma Gallery
Airbag light on = Airbag control module failure = removing it to send it to be reset/fixed.

Why is everyone so scared of airbags? It's like a gun, you follow the right safety steps and you're fine. Unhook battery for 3+ minutes before working on anything airbag related and you're fine.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProForce View Post
Wait WTH is going on in here! May I ask why you are removing that?? And why did you already unplug the harness'? Im no expert, but I do know a little something about air bag... And that's to NOT MESS WITH THEM! These things kill people! And if you don't know what your doing I highly recommend you stop and figure it out before you proceed. Just my suggestion.
Nuh-uh airbags SAVE people

Like he said, let the thing run all the way out of juice and you're fine.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Thin Blue Line
ProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shedProForce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
ProForce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapetik View Post
Airbag light on = Airbag control module failure = removing it to send it to be reset/fixed.

Why is everyone so scared of airbags? It's like a gun, you follow the right safety steps and you're fine. Unhook battery for 3+ minutes before working on anything airbag related and you're fine.
OK that explains it. But I for one am scared of air bags because for several years I was an installer (still am as a side job) and witnessed more than 1 person injured from air bags and 1 killed. All incidents the battery was unplugged. These things are super sensitive. Not saying it WILL hurt you or go off, but people need to be EXTREMELY careful around them, especially the control module. Little bit of static electricity on the right pin or a touch to ground and boom! Game over. Just saying, OP needs to be very very cautious that's all.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 AM   #11
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, that's the module in the picture. It's held on by 3 torx bolts. Be careful not to strip them. I stripped one of mine taking it out and ended up swapping in hex head bolts in case I ever had to remove it again for some reason.

I believe I followed the FSM to remove it and all it called for was disconnecting the battery for a few minutes before disconnecting and removing it. I disconnected the battery for like 15-20 minutes to be extra careful haha.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #12

dapetik's Tacoma Gallery
Where are the torx screws located? On the sides, behind the black vent tube? Thanks for the reply btw
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Where are the torx screws located? On the sides, behind the black vent tube? Thanks for the reply btw
There's one on the front of the module the can be seen in the picture. The other two are on the sides, should be just after the metal brackets that sort of surround the module and support the dash in the picture. Hopefully that helps.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

this is what i did i can find the guy i used had it back 2 days round trip
worked great for like $45
Old 07-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
Op did u pull the codes
You sure its the module
You can pull the codes with a paper clip if needed