LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bad Ride: Are TRD Coils or Shocks stiff?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
NoPantsRequired is on a distinguished road
Name: Zach
NoPantsRequired's Tacoma Gallery
Bad Ride: Are TRD Coils or Shocks stiff?

Hey all,

My question is this. I have a 04 Xtracab TRD that rides like it's got welded suspension. I've heard that the stock TRD front suspension components offer a pretty firm ride, but is the COIL or the SHOCK more to blame??

I would like to get a smoother ride with no lift at all. What do yall think is my best move? Granted, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something crazy. Softer ride + no lift = me happy
Old 07-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #2
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Trd coils with spacer lifts or bilstein 5100's give a stiff ride. Never heard about stock shocks and coils giving a firm ride.. You could get a set of old man emu shocks with 880 springs, maybe 1 inch of lift according to this thread, just enough to level the front end with the back, you might even like the way it looks! http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/OME

Did you get the invitation?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Thanks so much! Forgot to mention I'm actually running a very small spacer lift right now (I think it's a .75 inch "hockey puck" design). I like the stance of the vehicle but the ride quality is so terrible. Maybe i'll order some 880s!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPantsRequired View Post
Hey all,

My question is this. I have a 04 Xtracab TRD that rides like it's got welded suspension. I've heard that the stock TRD front suspension components offer a pretty firm ride, but is the COIL or the SHOCK more to blame??

I would like to get a smoother ride with no lift at all. What do yall think is my best move? Granted, I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on something crazy. Softer ride + no lift = me happy
If you were closer I'd swap you my suspension for yours.

Mine rides like a 77 Coupe DeVille at this point. Plus not only would you get no lift, you'd actually be sagging a bit

Old 07-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
The worst part about my lift was the fact that the "hockey puck" spacer replaced the top mounting plate on the strut tower, so now I gotta buy that just to put on another coil/shock set. What a pain!!

Cheers
Old 07-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
If you were closer I'd swap you my suspension for yours.

Mine rides like a 77 Coupe DeVille at this point. Plus not only would you get no lift, you'd actually be sagging a bit

Haha its the "grass is always greener" scenario right? I never was big on ride comfort, but driving on the highway and bouncing all around doesnt seem safe.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPantsRequired View Post
Haha its the "grass is always greener" scenario right? I never was big on ride comfort, but driving on the highway and bouncing all around doesnt seem safe.
Yeah, you'd hate my suspension then.
Old 07-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced my stock TRD shocks with...
stock TRD shocks. I like a firm-but-smooth ride as I'm on pavement most of the time. When I'm off, I give 'em a pretty hard workout.

The best thing you can do to obtain a smooth-but-firm suspension is a set of new tires!