Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should my "stock replacement" leafs look like this?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #1
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
Should my "stock replacement" leafs look like this?

I've had some experience working on 4x4's some 20 years ago. Things are different today I understand that, but I also know that when things line up it makes for a better day and a better ride. And to me, this ain't lining up. If Tacoma springs are built this way please let me know. If I bought shit springs let me know that too.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
just wondering, those are the two you bought correct?
If so, then they obviously shouldn't be that different.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
On old man emu springs the drivers side spring is a little taller to help offset the sag from the gas tank and weight of the driver... Idk if stock springs are supposed to be like that.. Where did you get them from?
Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
This is normal, at least for 1st gens. They are side specific. They should be marked and have different part numbers.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Yep, that's the new set. I took them out of the shrink wrap and this is what I got. One looks like they knew what they were doing (short leaf), and the other looks like it was built by the trainee (tall leaf). Plus there's twist in the springs, I do't think this is good for me.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
I know my leaf springs are different since I have a 96, but mine were the same height.
I bought Wheelers springs.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Troy, here's a pic of my replacement springs, and you can see that one (marked R, for right, or passenger) is longer. Not so easy to tell the arc from this angles, but if you stick them on your bench eyes down next to each other, you'll see almost an inch different in height. Normal.

As far as twist, there shouldn't be one.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
fizzlebag is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: TC
fizzlebag's Tacoma Gallery
Like others have said, the different spring heights are to compensate for taco lean. The driver's side has more weight on it due to the gas tank and the ass weight of the driver.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
That was the set sent to me, no tear downs yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
On old man emu springs the drivers side spring is a little taller to help offset the sag from the gas tank and weight of the driver... Idk if stock springs are supposed to be like that.. Where did you get them from?
Purchased from Deaver in CA, shipped from Dallas Spring in TX, Kinda weird there, I was hoping for a set of Deavers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
This is normal, at least for 1st gens. They are side specific. They should be marked and have different part numbers.
Part #'s are for left/right. But they look too different and that's where I have questions. Does one side have more give and travel than the other? I don't want to end up with a truck that looks and drives like shit.

Quote:
I know my leaf springs are different since I have a 96, but mine were the same height.
I bought Wheelers springs.
Let's see what the TW gurus input is before I drop the axle.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #10
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aught2TaCO View Post
Part #'s are for left/right. But they look too different and that's where I have questions. Does one side have more give and travel than the other? I don't want to end up with a truck that looks and drives like shit.
i'd install them, i think tacomataco02 is right, they're made to negate the "taco" lean.
there also shouldn't be a twist, i'd email or call deaver and tell them about the twist.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #11

In the first pic, the spring on the left is leaning off to the left in the front while the back end appears to be sitting straight. Hopefully an optical illusion messing with me. I'll put 'em up later this week, waiting for parts for now. Thanks everybody for your input!
Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
Stay Calm, and Fire For Effect
YOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedYOTA LOVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Training NCO, B Btry, 3-197th FA
Name: Chris
YOTA LOVER's Tacoma Gallery
The slight twist is the only thing that concerns me, but you will be able to force that spring on. If you do install them "as is" have someone drive behind you and check how the truck is tracking. If you have a full tank, are an average weighted fellow, the truck is unloaded, it sits level, and tracks straight than you are good to go!

I wish I had taken pictures of the two different aftermarket sets of springs I installed on my 95... Def coulda been more helpful to you without you actually installing the springs.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #13

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aught2TaCO View Post
In the first pic, the spring on the left is leaning off to the left in the front while the back end appears to be sitting straight. Hopefully an optical illusion messing with me. I'll put 'em up later this week, waiting for parts for now. Thanks everybody for your input!
You have them sitting on the overload leafs in that pic, and the diamond cuts at the end of the overload leafs may be imperfect (which doesn't matter) and causing one to lean.

What really matters the most is that the eyes are not out of alignment. Put them on your bench eyes down (upside down from how you have them in the pic) and see if both eyes sit flat on the bench. This should help reveal if there really is a twist from end to end.