1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 2.4 Taco stalls only in warm weather.. Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ryfly05, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    Ryfly05

Ryfly05 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane, WA
    Title pretty much sums up the problem. It runs and drives fine if the outside temp is below about 70*F, but once it gets above that, it will stall whenever you try to accelerate from a stop or slow roll. It always starts right back up after it stalls too.

It still idles fine and comes to a stop without stalling, but once you try to accelerate it stalls and it does it every time. It also seems to only stall when it goes into closed loop mode after the engine is warm. Even if its real hot outside, if the engine is cool, it wont stall until it warms up.

Thinking about unplugging the O2 sensor to force open loop all the time and see what it does. Also, not sure if this is normal but unplugging the MAF while it's idling will cause it to die. Runs worse with MAF unplugged also.

The truck is all stock, automatic 2.4L, year 2000 and has 580,000 miles on it! Any other ideas I can try to figure out whats causing this?? Thanks!

Ryan

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. Jul 2, 2013 at 4:27 PM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Disconnect the vacuum line to the egr and try it.

3. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    Ryfly05

Ryfly05 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane, WA
    Just went out and tried that. Didn't change anything. I should also mention that it only stalls under load. When in park or neutral the engine will rev freely without problems.

4. Jul 2, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    JudoJohn

JudoJohn Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD 5 speed
    yes the MAF needs to be in the loop. try cleaning the MAF sensor with MAF sensor cleaner. make sure you disconnect the batt before hand

5. Jul 3, 2013 at 4:15 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Do you know how to check the TPS with an ohm meter?

6. Jul 3, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    It's a common issue for the 2rz, but they usually don't start getting it until 850-900 thousand miles. I think you got a lemon, take it back :)

I have no idea but closing in on 600k is pretty damn cool!

7. Jul 3, 2013 at 5:41 PM
    Ryfly05

Ryfly05 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane, WA
    I would if you told me how :D. I do have a cheap harbor freight multi meter.

8. Jul 4, 2013 at 5:03 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The TPS is nothing more than variable resistor kind of like a volume control on a radio. Put your meter on ohms connect it to the center pin with one lead and the other on one to one of the other pins. The resistance readings are not as important as how well it changes it cannot drop out even slightly the readings must be smooth not jumpy at all. I don’t know how your throttle works on your truck if it’s a fly by wire you’ll have to remove the TPS and turn it with a screw driver. If there is a glitch it very well could be your problem because it sees no throttle position. FI repairs can get expensive fast if you just throw parts at it until it runs right.

9. Jul 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    Ryfly05

Ryfly05 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane, WA
    Ok just tried doing that, and the resistance seem'd to be pretty smooth. With the dial on the "20k" ohm setting, it went from 3.3 closed throttle down to .86 at full throttle IIRC with no drops or glitches in between. Unplugged the front O2 sensor (before cat, trying to force open loop) and unhooked the battery for a couple mins, but that didn't change anything either.

After filling up with fuel, it runs MUCH better but you can still feel it hesitate when you give it gas from a stop, but it wont die. So so far these conditions have to be met in order for it to die when accelerating from a stop:

1. Warm weather (above 75-80)
    2. Engine up to operating temp
    3. 3/4 or less tank of gas

If any one of those conditions aren't met, it will run fine. However it's not hard to meet all those conditions, so it still happens quite often.

Is there a way to check the fuel pressure on the 2RZ? I looked but couldn't find a Schrader valve like most FI cars have on the fuel rail to connect to. Am I missing it or is there somewhere else to measure it from? I'm starting to think maybe fuel pump or MAF. I replaced the fuel filter last year, so that should be good still.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far though!
    Ryan

10. Jul 7, 2013 at 4:11 AM
    maineah

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    I don't believe you can force a open loop just by unplugging the O2 sensor. I can't tell you if your's has no test port or not but many required a banjo fitting adapter to check fuel pressure. Improper fuel pressure can have an effect on a MAF sensor they are not easy to test there are too many parameters, the easiest is voltage output (0-5 volts) and visual inspection. Depending on contamination it can either be to hot or too cold either can cause issues.

11. Jul 7, 2013 at 8:02 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    This is just a wag (wild ass guess), but it could be related to the vapor recovery system (since the fuel level is one of the conditions).

See what happens when all 3 conditions are met, and you remove the gas cap.

12. Sep 28, 2013 at 5:30 PM
    cesarel

cesarel Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesarel
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Extended Cab 3.4
    Rancho susp

Im having similar problem,

in cold works great ... but once warm, if you turn it off, it will not start again.

and if you just continue on... after 35 mins of driving or just kept in idle ... it will turn off automatically.

I have changed, coils, cables, sensors, maf, airfilter, now im going to change the fuel pressure regulator and fuel pump.

Just ordered a fuel pressure tester, im reading that the tacomas dont have fuel pressure test port btw. :mad:

Products Discussed in

To Top