I'm normally an avid lurker here and around customtacos. I normally just read and learn and always search and normally find my answers but not this time. I have found myself in a bind and don't know how else to solve my problems so here goes nothing:
2001 Tacoma 2.4L 5spd ~175,000
My truck is skipping. Specifically on cylinder 3. It did the exact same thing about 6 months ago and I fixed it.
So it should be an easy fix right? Well not this time.
- changed all the plugs six months ago but changed the 3rd one today again.
- also six months ago I changed the ignition coil on 3. Fixed it then. Well I spent another $80 on a new one today and it still didn't fix it.
- so I pulled the fuel rail and injectors and cleaned them. Nope.
- checked all my hoses and connections. They're all good.
- also just put a fuel filter on a few months ago.
Still not fixed. The only thing I haven't done is a compression test. There's no oil on the spark plugs and my valve cover isn't leaking. No white smoke, so no head gasket. Good coolant level and flow, and no overheating. I need to change my oil but its just now time. I know all that doesn't really matter but I'm checking off a list for you guys.
Before I did all the today I had advanced check it and it said misfire on 3. The lady told me to take it to someone with a better system so I took it to a local mechanic who has one of those $20,000 Snap-On computers and all it said was misfire on 3. He told me to change the coil and plug and as a last resort clean the injectors.
Any ideas? Before I lose my mind and I blow my savings on a 2JZE swap