Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1st Gen Black Door Handle Alternative

Old 07-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

Name: James
kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen Black Door Handle Alternative

My truck started out with lots of chrome. I slowly began converting everything to black Currently, everything except my wheels, rear bumper, door handles and emblems are black. The door handles annoy me the most. I wanted black replacement handles but didn't feel like ripping my door apart. I thought about painting but didn't want to risk chipping. So next I had an idea. Wrap them with vinyl. I contacted ruggedT and he hooked me up with some 2x7 black matte rectangular vinyl cut outs for less than the price of a can of paint. I trimmed them, cleaned the door handles, and slapped them on. They came out really well! I hope they last and don't slowly peel off. I am curious to see how they handle washing/weathering. The hardest part was cutting them to size. Anyways heres some pics!

I first cleaned the handles and propped them up with some old bushings. Propping them up helped fold behind the access vinyl to ensure full coverage of the handle.

Next I cut them, rounded the edges, and sliced the corners so they would fold back easily.

Then I stretched the vinyl and pressed it down going from the inside out to the edges. Be sure not to allow any bubbles.

Finally fold back the edges and make it look clean. And you're done!

For any vinyl decals, I'd suggest contacting ruggedT! He was quite helpful in getting me exactly what I needed!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:28 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Nice.

FWIW I painted my chrome ones well over a year ago and they look almost mint still. Just some minute hairline scratches. I figure if I have to touch them up once every two years for a total of 15 minutes of my time... I'm down with that.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
kigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to beholdkigmob is a splendid one to behold

kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Nice.

FWIW I painted my chrome ones well over a year ago and they look almost mint still. Just some minute hairline scratches. I figure if I have to touch them up once every two years for a total of 15 minutes of my time... I'm down with that.
Well thats good to know. If these fail I'll probably go ahead and paint them. Figured I try something new though!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kigmob View Post
Well thats good to know. If these fail I'll probably go ahead and paint them. Figured I try something new though!
I'd imagine if you cleaned it well and laid it down well, which it seems you have, that it'll last a long time as is.

Nice work.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
That turned out looking pretty good. I am guilty of liking some chrome though.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:29 AM   #6

kigmob's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
That turned out looking pretty good. I am guilty of liking some chrome though.
Thanks man! And I can tell...your sig blinds me
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
That came out awesome. Thanks for sharing the results I was rather curious
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #9
Salesman by trade, Gentleman by habit
Mr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr. Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brennen J
Mr. Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Nice.

you didn't remove them did you? I'm trying to eliminate this last hint of chrome and I can't decide how I want to do it so that it lasts a long time.

lol we're always swapping painting tips. our trucks probably look exactly the same at this point
Old 07-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
I just hit them with black plastidip. Done.