Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Who makes the best rear frame strenthening plates?

Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
Who makes the best rear frame strenthening plates?

I am wanting to beef up the back of the frame while I have the box off so first of all who all makes these reinforcement plates?

Who makes the best rear frame strengthening plates?

Can they be added without additional fabrication e.g. shock mount relocation, etc.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
The best ones are the homemade ones, because you did it yourself!

However, they are all pretty much the same, just some plate that has cut outs in it. Yes they can be installed with no modifications at all. Just slap em one their and weld. (Well obviously grind the frame down clean! )
Old 07-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmtb83 View Post
I am wanting to beef up the back of the frame while I have the box off so first of all who all makes these reinforcement plates?

Who makes the best rear frame strengthening plates?

Can they be added without additional fabrication e.g. shock mount relocation, etc.

Thanks for the input.
45acp and I got my plate from a scrap yard. Paid like $8 or something for enough metal for both sides

Old 07-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
xcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedxcmtb83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
xcmtb83's Tacoma Gallery
How do the side plates like the ones pictured compare to the boxed frame kits I have seen around?

BTW that plate looks nice!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcmtb83 View Post
How do the side plates like the ones pictured compare to the boxed frame kits I have seen around?
I'd imagine quite well.

A lot of guys who carry a lot of weight in the rear (armor, RTT, etc) use the outer plate method (or whatever it's called)
Old 07-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
If you box your frame - - it will be stronger than just thickening one wall section.
But that all depends on the thickness of the material you use and how well is your welding skills.
If I had the time, I would had boxed my frame.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM   #8
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
3/16" plate is plenty for frame plating or boxing. It's thicker than the stock frame. Boxing the frame will be stronger than outer frame plates, but either will work and help to keep your frame from bending after the addition of weight over the rear of the truck.

As for which ones are best? Not a whole lot of difference in the plates themselves. It will come down more to the quality of your welds.

One suggestion I'll make with outer plates. If you don't fully weld around the perimeter (like the ones Madjik_man posted) I think it's a good idea to use some seam sealer in the areas around the edge where there isn't a weld. That will help to keep moisture out from between the plates and the frame. Otherwise you can develop rust between the plate and frame which will eat through the frame quicker than if you didn't have plates at all.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #9
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking the same thing looking at that picture.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #10

Already ran a bead of silicone adhesive around the non-welded areas. Should hold up fine IMO
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Silicone will be fine but it attracts dirt and the dirt sticks to it. It washes off fine, but just looks dirty most of the time. Seam sealer is stronger and doesn't attract dirt.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Silicone will be fine but it attracts dirt and the dirt sticks to it. It washes off fine, but just looks dirty most of the time. Seam sealer is stronger and doesn't attract dirt.
Why don't I confer with you before I do anything?

I suppose I can dig this sealant off and get seam sealer, I suppose. Do they make it in black?