Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone have frame rust after the spray recall?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
SteveNC is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
SteveNC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmka87 View Post
Any good way to take that spray off?
Easiest and fastest is with a sandblaster; it will also remove any rust too but it can go through weakened metal. The*3m #03171 Paint/rust Strip Wheels (and other brands which look like them) attached to a power-drill work well too. But you'll still need to get in there with something more powerful either a liquid stripper and/or a sandblaster.

My understanding is that if enough people complain to the NHSB that they will launch an investigation which could lead to a recall. I am not holding my breath and will likely just sandblast mine if we don't get anywhere with Toyota.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #22
Reh5108 is a name known to allReh5108 is a name known to allReh5108 is a name known to allReh5108 is a name known to allReh5108 is a name known to allReh5108 is a name known to all

Name: Ryan
Reh5108's Tacoma Gallery
Sitting at Toyota now waiting to have my spare tire bracket replaced. I asked about the spray flaking off and he said there is nothing they can do. Told me I could roll the dice and hope it needs replaced before the 15 year warranty expires or grab some spray cans and do it myself.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
The way is open, the time is now
Mrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMrogers33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Mrogers33's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel1 View Post
I was wondering if anyone was experiencing frame rust or rot despite taking their truck in for the frame spray? The extended warranty on the frame is good for 15 years from original date of vehicle purchase. Correct?
yes my frame spray was flaking off within a year of application and like the other guy said all it does is cover up existing rust. I am hoping my frame rots through before 2018 for a free replacement. The service dept. also told me it is normal to flake off when I took it in for the spare tire bracket.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:11 AM   #24
tacomawammer will become famous soon enough
Firefighter:
Name: wammer
tacomawammer's Tacoma Gallery
Talking

I had my 02 tacoma sprayed 4 years ago and it failed the frame inspection a few weeks ago. New frame going on next week along with new brake and gas lines plus rear leaf springs, all on Toyotas dime.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #25
Changeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Changeling's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomawammer View Post
I had my 02 tacoma sprayed 4 years ago and it failed the frame inspection a few weeks ago. New frame going on next week along with new brake and gas lines plus rear leaf springs, all on Toyota’s dime.
Please tell me how that is possible? I was told by Toyota and the dealer (Dar Toyota in Frederick Maryland) that no more frames have been available for a while and there will not be any more made!
That's why I couldn't get one for my Tacoma.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
tacomawammer will become famous soon enough
Firefighter:
Name: wammer
tacomawammer's Tacoma Gallery
I have read that new frames are only available on the 01's and newer, thats why toyota bought the older trucks and replaced frames on the newer ones
Old 08-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #27
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomawammer View Post
I have read that new frames are only available on the 01's and newer, thats why toyota bought the older trucks and replaced frames on the newer ones
That is correct
Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #28
ManofSteel1 is on a distinguished road
ManofSteel1's Tacoma Gallery
So far the treatment on my frame is holding up pretty good. No flaking whatsoever and its still feels tacky to the touch. I've always taken extra care to flush underneath with an electric presser washer. I do have a little bit of surface rust where the rear leafs connect to the frame. I plan to wire brush and apply some anti anti rust stuff to it. Not sure what to use any suggestions? Although my frame looks good, I'm still concerned. I plan to have the dealer look it over when I'm in for inspection next March or perhaps sooner. I bought my truck in Jan of 01 so I'm guessing my warranty is good through 2015. My nephew is interested in buying it but I'd feel really bad if the frame gives out after the warranty is up plus I'd never hear the end of it.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #29
jdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to beholdjdkilroy is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jon
jdkilroy's Tacoma Gallery
The warranty period for frames covered by this program is 15 years from initial "in service" date; in other words, from the day it was first sold. That applies to replaced frames as well. If your frame gets replaced one year before the 15 year date then your new frame has a one year warranty.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #30
VanNest90 is on a distinguished road
Army: Sgt. C co 2/504 PIR 82 ABN DIV
VanNest90's Tacoma Gallery
During the inspection,they found some surface rust on my fathers 99 ext cab. Pass side rear by the springs. They offered him $14,000. We couldn't believe it!
Old 08-21-2013, 03:53 AM   #31
lovedr79 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
lovedr79's Tacoma Gallery
maybe thatsx why they gave my buddy $14k for his '00 with 300K miles on it. i hope they have enough frames when the time comes for mine! i want a new truck or one that is affordable or they can replace the frame.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:22 AM   #32
CelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to beholdCelsisTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Anthony
CelsisTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I bought my truck (1995) and the guy i bought it from got it sprayed all the way up until the warranty ran out! It's still rusty, but'll it'll be fine! it's a monster!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #33
SteveNC is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
SteveNC's Tacoma Gallery
I suspect Toyota has a different policy on this depending on where the truck is currently registered. My wife brought her truck down from New York State (and the rusting process slowed significantly). I recall my wife receiving a letter explaining what was going on with the frame rust but it didn't apply to her vehicle because we weren't in one of the listed states. If I recall correctly when she called they told her that it didn't matter where it used to be registered, but where it was currently registered.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:30 PM   #34
DanHampton is on a distinguished road
DanHampton's Tacoma Gallery
My truck goes in tomorrow for new frame. Can't wait.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #35
DanHampton is on a distinguished road
DanHampton's Tacoma Gallery
Truck just got back from the dealer with the new frame, springs, leafs, etc. Rides really well, steering much more responsive than before. I had to have them adjust the rear brakes because the brakes were a bit unresponsive, but so far so good.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #36
MIARKA is on a distinguished road
MIARKA's Tacoma Gallery
Question undercoating peeling

Does anyone know what is currently happening with the frame program?

I have a 2003 Tacoma which received the dealer undercoating in 2012.
The undercoating is peeling and I am wondering what Toyota might do with the truck if perforation was to appear sometime in the near future. My local dealer claims to have stopped replacing the frames.
They will not tell me what the new procedures are beyond getting a Toyota technician sent over to inspect the situation.
From what I remember, there was a 5 year extended warranty for undercoated frames?

Any NEW info?
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #37
I've just had an apostrophe.
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIARKA View Post
Does anyone know what is currently happening with the frame program?

I have a 2003 Tacoma which received the dealer undercoating in 2012.
The undercoating is peeling and I am wondering what Toyota might do with the truck if perforation was to appear sometime in the near future. My local dealer claims to have stopped replacing the frames.
They will not tell me what the new procedures are beyond getting a Toyota technician sent over to inspect the situation.
From what I remember, there was a 5 year extended warranty for undercoated frames?

Any NEW info?
My '99 was inspected and undercoated in 2008, and then the truck was bought back under warranty in July of 2013 when the frame perforated (or rather, when the Toyota service tech perforated it with a hammer).

So as long as you had the truck inspected, it passed, and it had that undercoating applied, Toyota should stand behind it if the frame does fail sometime during that 15 year warranty period. If your dealer is saying that they're done replacing frames, take it to another dealer. I had a similar experience in that the first dealership I called about it said that the program was over and done with and that I was SOL, but that they'd be willing to work me a good offer on trading my truck in towards something on their lot.
I took it to another dealership and inside of a month Toyota had cut me a check for nearly $16k to buy my truck back.
Guess which dealership gets my business now.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #38
MIARKA's Tacoma Gallery
Ok,
But have you heard of any 2001-2004 Tacoma buy backs?
I suspect that they have stopped manufacturing the frames for these also...
Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #39
MIARKA's Tacoma Gallery
Just called Toyota.

They told me that the extended warranty works on a case by case basis.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:29 PM   #40
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIARKA View Post
Ok,
But have you heard of any 2001-2004 Tacoma buy backs?
I suspect that they have stopped manufacturing the frames for these also...
no buy backs, still replacing frames. Very rare cases where a dealer can't get a frame for months and months, only heard of that once on 01-04