Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Anyone have frame rust after the spray recall?

Old 07-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
ManofSteel1 is on a distinguished road
ManofSteel1's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have frame rust after the spray recall?

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing frame rust or rot despite taking their truck in for the frame spray? The extended warranty on the frame is good for 15 years from original date of vehicle purchase. Correct?
Old 07-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Danno 1948 will become famous soon enough
Marines: L/corpal
Name: Dan
Danno 1948's Tacoma Gallery
What recall is that? never heard of a recall for frame spray
Old 07-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #3
seymour butts
xgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shedxgalvanxgx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gerardo
xgalvanxgx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno 1948 View Post
What recall is that? never heard of a recall for frame spray
x2
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
The recall is for 1st gens. During frame inspection if the frame passed the frame was sprayed with undercoating to prevent the frame from rusting out. This is for 01-04s.

I believe you are correct on the recall lasting 15 years from original purchase (when it was bought new).
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Comon'. You know what I'm talking about. The recall for frame rot.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel1 View Post
Comon'. You know what I'm talking about. The recall for frame rot.
I know what you're talking about. I was just informing the 2nd gen owners of the recall and how it works lol.

I had my frame sprayed with the undercoating back in 2010 I believe. I have some rust on the frame but it hasn't gotten to the point of rotting out. I'm trying to find the info on how long the frame is covered from rusting out after being inspected.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
I have an 01. Was just wondering of anyone making a claim for frame replacement despite have it sprayed.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #8
Taco Verde
TawcoTime is on a distinguished road
TawcoTime's Tacoma Gallery
Read this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...t-debacle.html

Particularly post #7 by the OP. It may be of some assistance to you
Old 07-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel1 View Post
I have an 01. Was just wondering of anyone making a claim for frame replacement despite have it sprayed.
You can! It's under warranty so they will do a free inspection. At the dealer I went to they had to call some guy in to take pics and witness the inspection. They don't want to replace the frame unless it has a hole in it
Old 07-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
I just want to make sure it's understood that this is NOT a recall at all! This is a Toyota service bulletin, so it expires if you missed the coating. I have a 2004 where I spaced the frame coating and it's rotted with quarter sized holes in the frame in a number of places and now is unsafe to drive. Toyota won't do anything for me, and honestly who can blame them. The difference is that a recall never expires and does not have a time frame for any preventative or repair services.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
I have heard various experiences with Toyota on this issue. In my experience just last month, I was advised that the frame needed to perforated (have holes in it) for them to replace it. Im in FL and they will only replace the frame not spray it. They will only do the frame spray treatment in the cold climate states. My truck came from Ohio and was inspected (IIRC) in October 2010 in Ohio, passed inspection and was not sprayed. This was 1 month before the campaign ended. I purchased the truck in November 2011 in FL and didn't find out about the frame issues until after I purchased it. I was advised by the Toyota rep (Robin) that the frame was warrantied 15 years from it's manufacture date not it's purchase date. Also, as previously mentioned this IS NOT A RECALL. There is a National Highway Saftey website that has lots of information and copies of all recalls and service bulletins on any vehicle you want to look up. Good luck in your endeavors with Toyota.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #12
sportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsportsterchop200 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sportsterchop200's Tacoma Gallery
nhtsa.gov
or
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles
Old 07-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #13
gman88 is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gman88's Tacoma Gallery
I have a 2003 that I bought 3 years ago. My frame was sprayed by the dealer when I purchased it. If I recall correctly, Toyota will cover the frame for 15 years from manufacture date. I am currently thinking that it would be smart to sell or trade the truck prior to 2018? It only has 62K miles, so it should be around awhile. With my luck, the frame will be shot the day after the warranty ends. Any thoughts.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #14
SteveNC is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
SteveNC's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have a copy of the letters? I remember when my wife got the letter for her '01 they told her it only applied to northern vehicles. She told them how the truck was purchased I NY but we are in NC now. If I recall, a few months later we got another letter or maybe it was during a dealer trip they looked at it and said it was OK ..... Just like few weeks ago with the spare tire holder.

Anyhow, this past weekend after I fixed the clutch I was greasing all the joints and I noticed that the frame on the rear passenger side is in rough shape. There are a bunch of pencil size holes and the metal is very thin. I think I could easily remove 40-60% of the metal with my fingers from the inside and bottom of the frame near the welds for the front mount of pass. side leaf spring. I think it is safe to drive, but I doubt it could handle any off road pounding.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
So it didn't look like my truck? LOL

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #16
SteveNC is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
SteveNC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
So it didn't look like my truck? LOL
Pretty close, rust holes are contained just to that area of the frame:

Fortunately moving from NY to NC has reduced the speed of corrosion due to the rare freezing and rare use of salt on our roads.

Still, I would like to sandblast the underneath of the truck, weld in some reinforcement and apply some Permatex Extend (brush on) Rust Treatment. That stuff works incredibly well. My concern is that if I do that and then they issue a recall for the truck based on the TSB I'll be out of luck.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:01 PM   #17
Changeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shedChangeling is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Changeling's Tacoma Gallery
That's what happened to me!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
04Tacomabuild is on a distinguished road

Name: Reese
04Tacomabuild's Tacoma Gallery
From my experiences working at Toyota and doing the sprays myself, I can tell you the spray doesn't protect against rust at all, it just covers it so it looks pretty. To clean the frame all we did was go over it with a wire brush and a putty knife then blow it off, I honestly don't know the point of it. Any rust spots that were bad before the spray are going to rust out anyways you just won't see it as quickly. The spray isn't a bad idea on the brand new frames, but old ones don't really seem to make any sense!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #19
bmka87 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
bmka87's Tacoma Gallery
was underneath my 97 this past weekend and saw the spray coating was flaking off and had rust spot underneath it. Any good way to take that spray off? I had some thoughts to try and take it off and actually paint the frame after removing as much rust as I could.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #20
lovedr79 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
lovedr79's Tacoma Gallery
Same here twice as much rust after the coating came off. Dealer didn't care about my concern. I called corporate they were like get it checked again. It's just a parading type coating designed to come off. I am still mad about it.I still may wire wheel what i can and repaint it.