Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Cleaned TB, engine now "knocks". Please help!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
Knowledge rating result of a goat vs MC vid
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Troy
Aught2TaCO's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaned TB, engine now "knocks". Please help!

Got the 3.4l, changed oil, plugs, wires, cleaned the MAF sensor and performance was improved, no problems. I then changed the belts and cleaned the throttle body after noticing it was dirty. Used CRC and a clean shop towel, and covered a hole after noticing the CRC going down it. Soaked up as much as I could out of that hole (two squirts CRC) and then just wiped the TB clean. I started it up and heard/felt nothing until I put it into gear, then I get a "knocking" sound coming from somewhere in the engine. I try to pinpoint the area of the sound, but it still eludes me. A little help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
RESIST
moondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoondeath is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
moondeath's Tacoma Gallery
A knocking like engine ping or pre detonation?
Old 07-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #3
Aught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedAught2TaCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondeath View Post
A knocking like engine ping or pre detonation?
I want to say neither, it's more like a slapping sound. Kinda hollow sounding. Could it be the belts are too tight?
Old 08-29-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
mc3404 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
mc3404's Tacoma Gallery
Any fix for the knocking sound?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
fpradojr36 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jr.
fpradojr36's Tacoma Gallery
Well first of all, I'm pretty a lot of can relate. These tacomas in my opinion already have a tick knock noise. I think thats normal. But if you noticed it more after tune up.. Maybe check oil level, oil filter?
Old 08-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #6

UPDATE: I can't believe you found this thread mc3404, I was hoping it got buried. Anyway, the sound I created came from over tightening the belts. With the engine idling and in "park", I get normal engine sounds, including the "tick" of what I believe to be a valve that needs to be adjusted. When I shift into any drive gear, there's another noticeable sound along with a "knock" that can be felt when the gear selector is held. The sound is hard to describe, I can only say that it has a glub glub glub rhythm along with the knock and is RPM specific.
In other words I fucked something up, but I have yet to start to find out because my back is giving me problems and I struggle around a vehicle for now. All fluids are clear with no leaks, engine temp, p/s,a/c and volts are all good for now, I just need to put one belt on at a time to see where my problem is. If anybody has had a similar experience please give input.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #7
Firefighter:
mc3404's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, I have the exact same problem. And when you turn the AC on it makes it even worse.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc3404 View Post
Yes, I have the exact same problem. And when you turn the AC on it makes it even worse.
Take the a/c belt off and see if it eliminates the noise. It's a bit of work, but it's worth a try to see where your problem is.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:00 PM   #9
Firefighter:
mc3404's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced te compressor because I was positive it was te culprit. It was not
Old 09-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Too tight of a new belt on used components can cause a immediate failure of said component. Watch those tensions. You can also pull a spark plug wire with the engine running to hear differences or changes on individual cylinders. Insulated spark plug boot puller is your friend on that deal,,don't bare hand that.

Cheap wrong weight engine oil can cause funny noises. Not failures per say, but weird sounds from the engine. Those internal timing/balance shaft chain tensioners like the good stuff.