1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Centering steering wheel

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ToyoTaco02, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Jul 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    ToyoTaco02

ToyoTaco02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Decatur,IL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DC 2.7L
    OME 881 1/4" top plate spacer OME Dakars OME Nitrochargers Light Racing UCA
    A couple of years ago I had an alignment done. To get my steering wheel straight they somehow adjusted it at the steering shaft. Well I just had another alignment done and my numbers were exactly what I wanted. Only problem is my steering wheel is now at about 1:00 when I am going straight. I have read on here before that some people adjust there steering wheel to center by making an adjustment on the steering shaft. I know that the correct way to make the adjustment would be an adjustment to the tie rods. Without going back to the alignment shop what is it that I need to do to make the adjustment on the steering shaft?

2. Jul 4, 2013 at 5:24 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Turn the tie rod adjusters on each side the same number of turns, left opposite the right. Same number of turns preserves the toe adjustment and moves the wheel.

3. Jul 4, 2013 at 6:38 PM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    They need to not only align the wheels, but also align to steering wheel. While what rick said is the basic principle, go back to alignment shop and get it fixed.

4. Jul 5, 2013 at 10:05 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    Yep, on a 1st gen the correct spot to adjust wheel center is the inner tie rod ends. Folks can get confused with the definition or point of reference when the terms "same" and "opposite" are used with respect to the direction the ends are turned, the amount is always exactly equal.

From deep in the Dirty Pool of visual aids, the following pics show the movement of the steering wheel in response to turning the tie rod ends the same amount and direction, looking at the rack from the rear.
    Looking at the rack/ITR from the ends or "sides", the "turning" would be opposite directions, one would turn CW and the other CCW.

Left and right side TR threads are the same direction as seen from the rear.
    TOEADJ0032_zps6767d233_a7f538f40420cafa340e3fbccb8225b63d0ebcd8.jpg

Movement of the steering wheel in response to turning the ITRs. The white disk is the steering wheel. The red arrows indicate turning the ITR as if backing off the throttle on a motorcycle twist grip. This moves the rack shaft (inside the rack housing) to the left, rotating the top of the steering wheel to the right.
    TOEADJ0044_zpse1d4b843_9b8a4bc80858fbc4e26e5d1472bba412bce33ac4.jpg

Now, because the OP mentioned that the steering wheel was once centered at the "steering shaft", a whole other can of worms may need to be addressed, beyond the fact that the "shop" did not know what they were doing. The degree that this applies depends on many factors like "how much", "has the truck been wrecked" and past service history. The only way to know is to check.
    This is an area that rarely gets much press. At the 1st go around and before anything else it is important for DIY folks to consider, check or at least understand the initial centering of the rack/steering wheel. If the truck's history is unknown, the rack travel should be checked and centered if necessary. The outer tie-rods should be screwed into the inners an equal amount with a difference of 1.5mm or less to start. The steering wheel should be centered in its allowable rotations relative to the "spiral cable" inside it. Both the steering wheel and the rack centers then need to be in sync. The spot to set this is the spline joint between the rack pinion shaft (control valve) and the steering column shaft (intermediate shaft #2). Once the wheel/ rack centers are in agreement this will never change, unless someone changes it. Additionally it can be assumed that this "centering and sync" is already correct on a “one owner” truck with steering untouched from the factory.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  5. Jul 5, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    ToyoTaco02

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Decatur,IL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DC 2.7L
    My steering wheel is the opposite of the pic it's at about 1:00. So therefore I would need to turn my tie rods the opposite direction of the pic. Excuse my stupidity but I've never rode a bike so which way would be letting off of the throttle on the hand grips? Thanks for the help

6. Jul 5, 2013 at 1:46 PM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    In that case, put your head at the driver side mud flap and look inward at the end of the steering rack, actually the part protruding from the boot, the inner tie rod. Turn it CW then go to the pass side, look in from that side and turn that side CCW the exact same amount. This will move the top of your wheel from 1:00 towards 12:00. Put some marks on things for reference and start with 1/2 a turn. Then extrapolate from there after a short test drive. It is going to take a few tries to get it perfect.
    Turning the ITR 1/6 of a turn will make a noticeable change in the wheel position, it's that sensitive.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  7. Jul 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    ToyoTaco02

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Decatur,IL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DC 2.7L
    Thanks!!

8. Mar 19, 2017 at 2:56 AM
    06Tacooo

06Tacooo Earth Czar

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    39° 14' N / 83° 13' W
    Vehicle:
    06 Off Road Access Cab Indigo Ink Pearl
    Michelin Defender LTX M/S2, ABS kill switch, Tech Deck, Mirror riser, Ride-Rites, BF Garmin GPS
    I had my steering rack replaced at a Toyota shop by a master mechanic. I assumed the rack travel was centered at that time. The steering wheel is off to the left, but only about an inch. An alignment was also done at the same time. :annoyed:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  9. Mar 22, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    Assume nothing. Go to a better alignment shop, they should be able to center the rack, then align the front on the centered rack which in turn the steering wheel is straight. If this is not the case, then you will know. I cannot remember if the splines on the rack had an alignment spline or not.

Wulf likes this.
  10. Dec 28, 2019 at 12:19 PM
    nk2k2

nk2k2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Vehicle:
    2003 IJM SR5 4WD
    I hate to bump an old thread but I have the same problem as the OP. My steering wheel is off center at 1 o’clock.

I had an alignment done at a Big Al’s and they said that I need new outer tie rod ends since the jam nuts are seized.

The steering wheel was close to center when I brought to them and after their “best of their abilities” adjustment, the wheel is off center.

I crawled under the truck to look at the tie rods. The drivers side, there is a lot of thread showing and on the passengers side, there almost none showing.

I attached the alignment results for context.

image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top