Notices

Spark Plug Decision

Old 02-27-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member
S-Runner '01 is on a distinguished road

Name: Jerry
S-Runner '01's Tacoma Gallery
Spark Plug Decision

I have a 2001 Tacoma S-Runner with the 3.4L V6. The owners manual calls for either NGK BKR5EKB-11 or Denso K16TR11; both of which are the twin ground electrode type.
At several online parts houses when I type in my engine size info they tell me that I can also use the NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11. This plug is not the twin ground type but at one of the parts houses I read that this plug will last for, I think it was, 110,000 miles and I've found them for from 8 bucks or so to up to about $17 apiece.
I'd like to have plugs that are made to last over 100,000 miles but since they are not twin ground plugs and not what the owners manual calls for, I hesitate.
Has anyone used the NGK Iridium spark plugs in an engine that calls for the twin ground type? What was your experience? Are they worth at least 3 times as much as the ones called for? Do they work as good as or any better than the twin ground electrode type or am I just wasting my money to order the Iridium type?
TIA
Jerry
Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I have used Iridiums in the 3.4 a few times, and they gave poor performance. Use the twin ground Denso's for best performance. Be sure to gap BOTH sides at .040. If they tell you they are "pre gapped", they are not.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #3
Bambigular will become famous soon enough
Bambigular's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-Runner '01 View Post
I have a 2001 Tacoma S-Runner with the 3.4L V6. The owners manual calls for either NGK BKR5EKB-11 or Denso K16TR11; both of which are the twin ground electrode type.
At several online parts houses when I type in my engine size info they tell me that I can also use the NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11. This plug is not the twin ground type but at one of the parts houses I read that this plug will last for, I think it was, 110,000 miles and I've found them for from 8 bucks or so to up to about $17 apiece.
I'd like to have plugs that are made to last over 100,000 miles but since they are not twin ground plugs and not what the owners manual calls for, I hesitate.
Has anyone used the NGK Iridium spark plugs in an engine that calls for the twin ground type? What was your experience? Are they worth at least 3 times as much as the ones called for? Do they work as good as or any better than the twin ground electrode type or am I just wasting my money to order the Iridium type?
TIA
Jerry
The same motor is in the DC V6 and I just changed the plugs last week with the NGK's. It runs great but I change my plugs every 30k, which is routine maintenance. Stick with what the factory calls for.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
bite me
humanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shedhumanoid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

humanoid's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, stick with the twin electrode to be on the safe side, I don't think you will regret that decision down the road.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Wrath of the runbird
Bakemono is on a distinguished road

Bakemono's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Bakemono
You can use the Iridiums if you want. They cross reference, so there is no harm in using them.
However, Iridiums cost about 4x as much, wont gain you anything in terms of performance or fuel economy and wont last 4x longer than the standard plugs; so I really dont see the sense in using them.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
taco? like the kind you eat?
mylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedmylittletacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Corporal, Mals-11, 3rd MAW
mylittletacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i just put in the regular NGK platinums which are not dual pronged, it seems like it runs the same. i gapped mine to 0.43 though. i think i might switch back to the duals though. just because it calls for them though doesnt mean they are always the best. at the same time, the better plugs arent always the best. before i traded my widebody MR2 turbo for my taco i ran the bosch coppers and it was the best.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
go with the twin electrode denso plugs. they are fairly cheap....and they wear pretty well...better than the ngk's from what i have seen. i just cant see paying the price for an iridium plug when there isnt gonna a significant performance increase...........they just give you a longer change interval.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittletacoma View Post
i just put in the regular NGK platinums which are not dual pronged, it seems like it runs the same. i gapped mine to 0.43 though. i think i might switch back to the duals though. just because it calls for them though doesnt mean they are always the best. at the same time, the better plugs arent always the best. before i traded my widebody MR2 turbo for my taco i ran the bosch coppers and it was the best.
I have tested different plugs in the 3.4 and the OEM Denso plugs give the best performance.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:38 AM   #9
dustinuhls is on a distinguished road

dustinuhls's Tacoma Gallery
Go to the dealership and buy the Denso plugs. They are what Toyota call for in their motors and don't cost very much. Also, the problem with buying the 100K mile iridium plugs is that you don't change them for every 100K miles! That gives you much more of a chance to have the plugs seize up in your aluminum block and strip threads, etc. when trying to change them later. They don't give you any extra performance, so it's not worth the extra money spent for the iridiums. Just make sure to buy the dual ground Denso or NGKs (the dealership sells Denso's), but the trucks came from the factory with Denso's on one side and NGKs on the other. I was told by a Toyota Technician that this was to solve some problem with one bank burning hotter than the other, but to just replace them all with the same plug and you'll have no problem. Just change them every 30K miles or so and you'll be just fine.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:03 AM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinuhls View Post
Go to the dealership and buy the Denso plugs.

but the trucks came from the factory with Denso's on one side and NGKs on the other. I was told by a Toyota Technician that this was to solve some problem with one bank burning hotter than the other, but to just replace them all with the same plug and you'll have no problem. Just change them every 30K miles or so and you'll be just fine.
X2
Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
blackheart is on a distinguished road
Name: michael
blackheart's Tacoma Gallery
NGK Iridium crap

i had the NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11 in my 01 4x4 and it ran like trash the hole time . 3 weeks after i put them in the 3 on the driver side failed . the pos prong in the middle melted out . it would start and run at an idel but when i gave the gas to go it would jump and lurch . so no the Iridum plugs are not a good choice . i'v never had any trouble with the OEM style . and i think i get a little better gas mileage with them . the NGKs twin ground a lttle less mileage denso all the way man .
Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackheart View Post
i had the NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11 in my 01 4x4 and it ran like trash the hole time . 3 weeks after i put them in the 3 on the driver side failed . the pos prong in the middle melted out . it would start and run at an idel but when i gave the gas to go it would jump and lurch . so no the Iridum plugs are not a good choice . i'v never had any trouble with the OEM style . and i think i get a little better gas mileage with them . the NGKs twin ground a lttle less mileage denso all the way man .
That's a gap problem, not a plug problem.

I still agree with everyone else. Denso.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
blackheart is on a distinguished road
Name: michael
blackheart's Tacoma Gallery
they where gaped where i was told to gap them . still ran like sh@t .
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
mx04taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Cory
mx04taco's Tacoma Gallery
from a technicians standpoint.... always go with factory plugs. I cant tell you how many times i have seen misfire issues in customer cars and found non-oem plugs installed. Save yourself the money and headache. Stay factory
Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #16
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx04taco View Post
from a technicians standpoint.... always go with factory plugs. I cant tell you how many times i have seen misfire issues in customer cars and found non-oem plugs installed. Save yourself the money and headache. Stay factory

What ^^^^^ he said!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #17
Resident MMA Fanatic
SlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimDigg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SlimDigg's Tacoma Gallery
I was surprised when I changed my spark plugs and inside I found single electrode ngk all around. The truck seemed to run fine. I replaced with dual electrode factory denso and got better mpg.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #18
rusty c is on a distinguished road
Name: Rusty
rusty c's Tacoma Gallery
how to tell when iridum plugs need to be changed?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks all, I'm about to change mine soon.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #20
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed mine and used factory plugs (Denso) bought from the dealership.

I also changed my spark plugs wires, bought NGKs online.

At the same time I also cleaned my MAF and throttle body thoroughly and tightened up my throttle cable (lots of slack).

All combined my truck runs, and idles, ideally right now.

Can't wait to see the next fill up to see what a full tank yields in terms of mpg