1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spark Plug Decision

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by S-Runner '01, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM
    S-Runner '01

S-Runner '01 [OP] Elderly Gentleman - Junior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Yakima "the Palm Springs of Central Washington"
    Vehicle:
    BSP '01 S-Runner
    Garmin 260W - GPS Scanguage II K&N FIPK Kit Delta Low Profile Toolbox Fumoto Oil Drain Valve New Toyota Front Mats B&M Short Throw shifter New Tokico Gas Shocks Compustar Anti Theft Alarm System Redline Elite Hood Struts Phase Linear DVD/MP3/CD Player Professionally Detailed
    I have a 2001 Tacoma S-Runner with the 3.4L V6. The owners manual calls for either NGK BKR5EKB-11 or Denso K16TR11; both of which are the twin ground electrode type.
    At several online parts houses when I type in my engine size info they tell me that I can also use the NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11. This plug is not the twin ground type but at one of the parts houses I read that this plug will last for, I think it was, 110,000 miles and I've found them for from 8 bucks or so to up to about $17 apiece.
    I'd like to have plugs that are made to last over 100,000 miles but since they are not twin ground plugs and not what the owners manual calls for, I hesitate.
    Has anyone used the NGK Iridium spark plugs in an engine that calls for the twin ground type? What was your experience? Are they worth at least 3 times as much as the ones called for? Do they work as good as or any better than the twin ground electrode type or am I just wasting my money to order the Iridium type?
    TIA
    Jerry

2. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:31 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have used Iridiums in the 3.4 a few times, and they gave poor performance. Use the twin ground Denso's for best performance. Be sure to gap BOTH sides at .040. If they tell you they are "pre gapped", they are not. :)

3. Feb 27, 2009 at 2:55 PM
    Bambigular

Bambigular Well-Known Member

Member:
    Corona, Ca
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab SR5
    The same motor is in the DC V6 and I just changed the plugs last week with the NGK's. It runs great but I change my plugs every 30k, which is routine maintenance. Stick with what the factory calls for.

4. Feb 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM
    humanoid

humanoid bite me

Member:
    Sunny SoCal
    Vehicle:
    I had a '99 Xtra Cab PreRunner SR5 V6
    Yeah, stick with the twin electrode to be on the safe side, I don't think you will regret that decision down the road.

5. Feb 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM
    Bakemono

Bakemono Wrath of the runbird

Member:
    Southern Wisconsin, USA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Toyota Tacoma regular cab 4x2
    You can use the Iridiums if you want. They cross reference, so there is no harm in using them.
    However, Iridiums cost about 4x as much, wont gain you anything in terms of performance or fuel economy and wont last 4x longer than the standard plugs; so I really dont see the sense in using them.

6. May 5, 2009 at 12:33 PM
    mylittletacoma

mylittletacoma taco? like the kind you eat?

Member:
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    00 Silver SR5 4X4 SC
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector kit, Gibson Exhaust, Deckplate Mod, Tough Country 5" lift kit, Fabtech coilovers, Daystar 1" bodylift, 35" Kumho Road Venture MT's mounted on Eagle Alloy 185's black 15x8 -12offset, Alpine 9883 deck, Alpine type R speakers all around, Alpine 500w amp to 10"Boston G1 in custom built rear center console enclosure
    i just put in the regular NGK platinums which are not dual pronged, it seems like it runs the same. i gapped mine to 0.43 though. i think i might switch back to the duals though. just because it calls for them though doesnt mean they are always the best. at the same time, the better plugs arent always the best. before i traded my widebody MR2 turbo for my taco i ran the bosch coppers and it was the best.

7. May 5, 2009 at 2:10 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    go with the twin electrode denso plugs. they are fairly cheap....and they wear pretty well...better than the ngk's from what i have seen. i just cant see paying the price for an iridium plug when there isnt gonna a significant performance increase...........they just give you a longer change interval.

8. May 5, 2009 at 3:49 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have tested different plugs in the 3.4 and the OEM Denso plugs give the best performance.

9. May 7, 2009 at 3:38 AM
    dustinuhls

dustinuhls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manhattan, KS
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport 4wd
    Icon Coilovers, Magnaflow, K&N Intake
    Go to the dealership and buy the Denso plugs. They are what Toyota call for in their motors and don't cost very much. Also, the problem with buying the 100K mile iridium plugs is that you don't change them for every 100K miles! That gives you much more of a chance to have the plugs seize up in your aluminum block and strip threads, etc. when trying to change them later. They don't give you any extra performance, so it's not worth the extra money spent for the iridiums. Just make sure to buy the dual ground Denso or NGKs (the dealership sells Denso's), but the trucks came from the factory with Denso's on one side and NGKs on the other. I was told by a Toyota Technician that this was to solve some problem with one bank burning hotter than the other, but to just replace them all with the same plug and you'll have no problem. Just change them every 30K miles or so and you'll be just fine.

10. May 7, 2009 at 4:03 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    X2

11. May 7, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    blackheart

blackheart Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    alexander n.c.
    Vehicle:
    made the way i wonted it
    fabtec 2.5 3" coilover lift , ARB , 8k warn , uwc tool box . bushwachers cut out flairs , 2 12" memphis m3 subs , JBL amp , jennsen head unit .
    i had the NGK Iridium BKR5EIX-11 in my 01 4x4 and it ran like trash the hole time . 3 weeks after i put them in the 3 on the driver side failed . the pos prong in the middle melted out . it would start and run at an idel but when i gave the gas to go it would jump and lurch . so no the Iridum plugs are not a good choice . i'v never had any trouble with the OEM style . and i think i get a little better gas mileage with them . the NGKs twin ground a lttle less mileage denso all the way man .

12. May 7, 2011 at 8:09 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    That's a gap problem, not a plug problem.

I still agree with everyone else. Denso.

13. May 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    blackheart

blackheart Member

Member:
    First Name:
    michael
    alexander n.c.
    Vehicle:
    made the way i wonted it
    fabtec 2.5 3" coilover lift , ARB , 8k warn , uwc tool box . bushwachers cut out flairs , 2 12" memphis m3 subs , JBL amp , jennsen head unit .
    they where gaped where i was told to gap them . still ran like sh@t .

14. May 10, 2011 at 1:48 PM
    ScienceofSpeed

ScienceofSpeed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FFEJ
    Mesa, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    01 double cab 4x4 trd limited
    grey wire mod, disable drl, diff breather relocation, transmission cooler, deckplate mod, powerslot rotors, hawk HPS brake pads, steel braided brake lines, NGK Iridium plugs & wires, TRD headers, snugtop camper, husky floormats, OME 881, OME HD leafs, OME nitro sport shocks, TRD supercharger, non-turbo supra injectors, Walbro 255 fuel pump, URD 2.2 S/C pulley, AEM fic, One off all stainless 2 1/2 inch custom exhaust
    NGK iridium plugs with NGK plug wires, about 40,000 flawless miles so far, including alot of towing and trail rides. I dunno maybe i'm lucky......I doubt it.

15. May 11, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    mx04taco

mx04taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Marietta,GA
    Vehicle:
    04, SR5, TRD, 4wd
    Flowmaster exhaust, Pioneer DVD HU, Pioneer speakers all around, , Viper security w/ remote start, Tinted Windows, Silverstar Headlights, Toytec 3" Coil Springs, All Pro Offroad Diff Drop 3/4", Bilstein 5100s, 2" Toytec AAL's, Toytec poly rear leaf bushings, Deckplate Mod 4", 265/75r16 firestone destination a/t's
    from a technicians standpoint.... always go with factory plugs. I cant tell you how many times i have seen misfire issues in customer cars and found non-oem plugs installed. Save yourself the money and headache. Stay factory

16. May 11, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.

What ^^^^^ he said!

17. May 11, 2011 at 4:03 PM
    SlimDigg

SlimDigg We Back!!

Member:
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    Coming Soon....
    I was surprised when I changed my spark plugs and inside I found single electrode ngk all around. The truck seemed to run fine. I replaced with dual electrode factory denso and got better mpg.

18. Jul 4, 2012 at 6:52 PM
    rusty c

rusty c Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rusty
    Galliano,la
    Vehicle:
    99' SR5 Prerunner
    5" susp. lift ,K&N FIPK, air aid throttle body spacer,true dual super 40 flowmasters
    how to tell when iridum plugs need to be changed?

19. Jul 4, 2012 at 7:53 PM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    Thanks all, I'm about to change mine soon.

20. Jul 4, 2012 at 8:12 PM
    Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man The Rembrandt of Rattle Can

Member:
    Colorado Front Range
    Vehicle:
    1998 Ext Cab 3.4 4x4 TRD 5MT, 2004 DC 3.4 4x4 TRD
    I just changed mine and used factory plugs (Denso) bought from the dealership.

I also changed my spark plugs wires, bought NGKs online.

At the same time I also cleaned my MAF and throttle body thoroughly and tightened up my throttle cable (lots of slack).

All combined my truck runs, and idles, ideally right now.

Can't wait to see the next fill up to see what a full tank yields in terms of mpg

Products Discussed in

To Top