Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gear Shifter Leather Boot to Carpet Mod

Old 07-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Grunt
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Gear Shifter Leather Boot to Carpet Mod

Leather Boot Replacement with Black Carpet

GOT THIS NEAT IDEA FROM HIGHERLUX
What it (roughly) looked like before:

What it looks like after:

THE MOD

You're gonna need: your black carpet, a sharpie, razor, a staple gun, a set of pliers, a set of needle nosed pliers, a measuring tape (and/or ruler), as well as some sort of good scissors that can cut carpet easily.

FIRST cut away the leather boot that attaches to the metal rectangle guide for the plastic trim.

Here are the dimensions of my template I used (it's not pictured in the phases of this project) just FYI:

1.) You're gonna need to make an initial carpet cut out, taking the length of the sides into account (roughly 6cm):

2.) Next figure out the dimensions of the rubber boots after you have lifted the bottom up! It's smaller underneath the bottom lip of the boots:

3.) Center your template and mark where the shifters will sit:

4.) You will then cut the corners by using the metal rectangle as your guide.

5.) When you start stapling the carpet to the metal rectangle, try and use up as little carpet as possible so you will have more room to work with when you go to put your rubber boots through your 2 holes.

BEFORE THIS STEP- I would strongly suggest making sure your holes are the perfect fit for the boots before you start stapling

6.) When stapling the sides, try and work your way from the outside inward:

7.) Start on your 1 side and then work your way around until they are all getting stapled down:

8.) Half way done/in progress stapling:

9.) All 4 sides stapled:

BOTTOM

10.) When inserting into your plastic trim, use your sharpie and mark where the metal rectangle is supposed to clip into the plastic trim:

11.) Use your razor and shave off a piece of that portion of your carpet so the metal rings can grab the plastic teeth on your trim piece to attach back up there-- do this for all 4 corners and it should fit (quoting Ace Ventura) "mmm like a glove":

12.) The final fitting:

The Finished Product

I haven't made many DIY threads but I thought this mod looked too good NOT to share it with this forum! If you have any questions about this mod then don't hesitate to ask. Thanks for looking!
Old 07-06-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
JMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to beholdJMaberry is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jack
JMaberry's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great, I like it! I've never been a big fan of the stock leather shifter boot.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks! Yeah I was never a fan of that leather boot, all it did was get grungy over time, this looks better IMO and you can store all the same crap down there that you normally would with the leather boot
Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
looks alot better than mine does, good job dude
Old 07-10-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
That turned out great, you could also use neoprene to set it apart from the rest of the carpet.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
looks alot better than mine does, good job dude
Thanks! You're the brains of this mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by se7enine View Post
That turned out great, you could also use neoprene to set it apart from the rest of the carpet.
Very true, it's a pretty easy mod, just very time consuming especially with the stapling. If you choose to try with neoprene be sure and post a few pictures here so we can see!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
MEDICDUDE423 is on a distinguished road
EMS:
Name: Matt
MEDICDUDE423's Tacoma Gallery
Good Job Bro
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #8
Dorthy left Kansas for a reason
somethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shedsomethinboutayota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Parker
somethinboutayota's Tacoma Gallery
Subb'd may have to do this with my 4x4 shifter it looks good, and where did you get the new shifter covers?
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #9

Are you talking about the rubber boots at the bottom of the 5-speed shifter & 4wd shifter?
If so, they're currently underneath your leather shifter boots
Old 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #10
Insert witty title here
Seventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeventh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Chris
Seventh's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Seventh
That looks awesome!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #11

An update I didn't think of: Those with the 4wd button on your 2nd shifter... you might have to figure something out with the wire that runs down that shifter from the "4wd" button. Just an issue my Dad ran into when considering this mod for his 2002 Tacoma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventh View Post
That looks awesome!
Thanks, looks so much better than the leather boot
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWThomas1250 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
Bump! Just found this thread. I'm gonna try it with neoprene tomorrow if I can find the fabric. I'll post pics if it turns out halfway decent
Old 02-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #13
pnwtaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Taylor
pnwtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Totally just did this, love it. reminds me of my 94 p/u

Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
VAYoder4167 is on a distinguished road

Name: Frank
VAYoder4167's Tacoma Gallery
I think once I get my new black interior carpet installed I'm going to end up doing this mid.
Great write up and definitly plan on doing this.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WThomas1250 View Post
Bump! Just found this thread. I'm gonna try it with neoprene tomorrow if I can find the fabric. I'll post pics if it turns out halfway decent
Did you end up doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwtaco View Post
Totally just did this, love it. reminds me of my 94 p/u

Turned out awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAYoder4167 View Post
I think once I get my new black interior carpet installed I'm going to end up doing this mid.
Great write up and definitly plan on doing this.
Thanks, so much better than the leather look! Try and post some pics when you do it, I always like seeing other people when they do it
Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Dude,
Where ya been?
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
Dude,
Where ya been?
San Diego area. Got done with a 2 month long school a few weeks back and now I've been in adjusting to my new unit here at Pendleton so I'll be a frequent TW user again ...... but no more WA meets for a whiiiiiiiile
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
San Diego area. Got done with a 2 month long school a few weeks back and now I've been in adjusting to my new unit here at Pendleton so I'll be a frequent TW user again ...... but no more WA meets for a whiiiiiiiile
Nice area you landed in though. Welcome back.