Name: Caleb
calebdnehus's Tacoma Gallery
Blinker to "foglight" retrofit

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2759.jpg
HB2 bulb I'm going to fit into the blinker housing

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2758.jpg
This is the look we're going for

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2757.jpg
Notice how the fins of the bulb have a curve that keeps the edge of the bulb laying flat with the blinker housing

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2760.jpg
Press the bulb down as far as it will go and take a sharpie and mark the edges of the fins

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2761.jpg
Using a dremel cut away a small amount of plastic in between the lines you marked until the bulb will lay flat against the housing. There is three fins

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2762.jpg
Notice the teeth that stick up at the bottom of the bulb. If you look from where you pushed the bulb down into the housing, the side will be scratched from these. Take some needle nose pliers and bend them all the flat to the bulb

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2765.jpg
This is how the bulb should lay once you have dremeled out the housing for the fins and bent the bulb teeth down. Once you get this look, take some seam sealer and seal the bulb to the housing.

Blinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2763.jpgBlinker to "foglight" retrofit-100_2764.jpg
This was my test fit. They look good, but I am debating on weather I should take the shroud from my old headlight case and fit it around the bulb

I will add to the write up as I move on in my project. I still have to get the HB2 sockets wired up to a relay. I will do this over the next day or so
Old 07-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
calebdnehus is on a distinguished road
It doesnt have a lense on it, I am working on finding a clear lense for it that doesnt have the dissfused patten that the stock lense has. I'm not sure about the heat melting it. I havent had a chance to get the sockets for the bulbs yet. I will be doing that over the next day or so and then get them wired up. I will add all that to my write up as I move on in the project. I will also test it to see if there is any safety hazards before I complete it
Old 07-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
No the lense, there's nothing to focus the light coming off the bulb, you'd need to modify the housing itself. Also the h4 bulb might draw too much current for the turn signal circuit
Old 07-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #5
trussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nice

Name: Tyler
trussell456's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebdnehus View Post
It doesnt have a lense on it, I am working on finding a clear lense for it that doesnt have the dissfused patten that the stock lense has. I'm not sure about the heat melting it. I havent had a chance to get the sockets for the bulbs yet. I will be doing that over the next day or so and then get them wired up. I will add all that to my write up as I move on in the project. I will also test it to see if there is any safety hazards before I complete it
You're going to need some way of reflecting the light if it's going to be a fog light! If not its going to be very dim
Old 07-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Oh I got you now. Yeah, I'm going to try and fit the lense from my old headlights into the housing. I'm also going to put a reflective surface on the walls of the housing. I won't be using this light as my turn signal. I had Blackdawg do the blinker relocate mod on my corner lights
Old 07-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
I'll also be wiring them up on their own relay, and use a switch
Old 07-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
trussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nicetrussell456 is just really nice

Name: Tyler
trussell456's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Oh I got you now. Yeah, I'm going to try and fit the lense from my old headlights into the housing. I'm also going to put a reflective surface on the walls of the housing. I won't be using this light as my turn signal. I had Blackdawg do the blinker relocate mod on my corner lights
oh ok, looking forward to seeing how they turn out
Old 07-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
That will melt the cover I think. Most fog lights have glass covers, and the blinker is way to high to be a functioning fog light.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
I've been looking around trying to find a clear glass cover for it. And I'm going to try and retrofit my stock headlight focus lense into the blinker housing and aim them down. Hopefully I can actually make it work correctly and safely but it is just in the idea stage right now
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
Oh okay, then I'll try and find a cheap set of the clear blinker lenses. You think the light will melt them? They shouldn't burn any hotter than 4000K. And if I'm trying to spread the light around, I shouldn't need anything in the housing to focus it then. What do you think?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #14
Okay, I'll them out. The bulbs are standard 55 watt HB2
Old 07-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #16
Haha, heck yeah they do! Not a problem since you got them all set up. Thanks again man
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #18
Quote:
Sweet! Good to hear
Definitely man
Old 07-09-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
Just tested the lights inside the housing with the new sockets I picked up. They do get a little too hot for the plastic housing but I figured I could buy some heat resistant paint (like the kind you can paint exhaust tips with) and possibly solve that problem. If not, I'm dead in the water on this project
Old 07-10-2013, 06:00 AM   #20
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Just tested the lights inside the housing with the new sockets I picked up. They do get a little too hot for the plastic housing but I figured I could buy some heat resistant paint (like the kind you can paint exhaust tips with) and possibly solve that problem. If not, I'm dead in the water on this project
I think heat resistant paint means the paint with stands the temp.. Not the stuff that is painted

Products Discussed in this Thread