1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo shot...what to buy?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by takamineman, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jul 10, 2013 at 10:27 AM
    takamineman

takamineman [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    auburn, ga
    Vehicle:
    1996 Sr5 4x4
    So monday my oem radio just quit. I checked the fuses and everything is fine. I was thinking that maybe because of off roading maybe it came unplugged...but no such luck. Is there any hope in repairing it? I assume probably not.

I'm alot more mechanical than technical, so looking at the million aftermarket units available is just a blur to me. What would be comparable in sound to the stock unit, but have an aux input? I dont' need fancy, just something decent.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:49 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    Most units now come w/ aux and 3.5 jack on face plate, sound wise if the brand is good i.e. pioneer, alpine, sony etc. then it should be better than stock. Will depend more of the speakers you have and if you plan on pushing them with an amp. You can get a decent stereo for under $75.

3. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:50 AM
    arifleman

arifleman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pacific NW
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD 3.4L Ext Cab
    Ha, I just went through this, but my double DIN factory unit was still good when I pulled it. I wanted to put an aftermarket radio in plus a CB radio to fit the double DIN spot. I ended up with a Kenwood kdc-bt755hd for radio and for CB, a Cobra 18WXSTII. The Kenwood offers the auxiliary output you want, plus USB, Bluetooth, and High Definition radio.

I started out just wanting the aux output as well, but when I thought on it, I decided to get one that offered bluetooth for hands free phone operation. I am real pleased with the Kenwood unit. It was also my first exposure to HD radio, and I am a believer - great lock up on the station signal with clarity and great sound (AM stations sound like a strong FM signal). The bluetooth I really like. I just have a simple cell phone and usually will not answer the phone if I am driving. It is nice with the bluetooth though to be able to take a call through the radio - pretty nice technology for the price. Something to think about anyway.

Oh, whatever radio you end up with, make sure you get a wiring harness specific for your vehicle so you can connect the new radios wires to the harness, then the harness connectors hook up to your factory radio connectors so you are using existing power, grd, speaker wires, etc. Crutchfield is a good website to evaluate radios and determine wiring needs for your vehicle.

P1020081.jpg

4. Jul 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    I have JVC KW-R800BT... It is a pretty legit double din. Great sound, easy to operate, simple but easy to read and multicolor display, 2 usb ports (1 for BT dongle), BT works perfect, HD radio built in, and great price and reviews on Crutchfield ($149.99). You can't go wrong with this price. I have an Alpine KTP-445U power Pack ($149.99) for 45Wrms x 4 feeding 4 Polk DB651s ($99.99/pair).

I have the color set for white during day (easy to read in sunlight), turns red when I turn on lights, and turns blue on phone call. It also does multicolor stuff which I'm not a fan of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Jul 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Nice :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top