Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

CV axle replacement

Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
Ninja TRDle is on a distinguished road

Name: Bryce
Ninja TRDle's Tacoma Gallery
CV axle replacement

So I have a 98 4wd and I need to replace the front left cv axle. I've searched other threads to avoid resurrecting an old topic but couldn't find anything. The boot has been torn for a bit and I've already waited too long in replacing it. I though about just a replacement boot but I've decided that this is just more of a "band-aid" fix and I don't want the axle completely seizing up and likely causing more damage. So I looked into it and I was surprised to find that a replacement axle from auto zone was only around $65. Is this a good axle though? I do have a 2" leveling spacer with 32's and I do moderate off-roading. I want something durable but I am newly wed, in college and on a tight budget. Suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
I run Autozone axles and they had a lifetime warranty when I got mine, not sure if they still have the lifetime warranty for them still or not. I tore my first set of cv axles I got from them but my lift is what tore my OEM boots then my Autozone boots. Swapped the cv axles for new ones under their warranty. I've got a few years on the current axles with no problems.

I'd get a new seal for the differential while you're in there. The seal is right where the axle goes in and you may damage it taking the old axle out then you have to pull the axle again to fix the seal. Happened to me haha.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #4

Great, thanks guys. On autozone's website it says I can only ship it to my home, they don't have it in the store. If i want to do both sides, are they any different or do I just order two? I thought they were specific to which side..?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Pretty sure they're not side specific
Old 07-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmok View Post
I'd get a new seal for the differential while you're in there. The seal is right where the axle goes in and you may damage it taking the old axle out then you have to pull the axle again to fix the seal. Happened to me haha.
I've never done this. How hard/ complicated is it? Special tools?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja TRDle View Post
So I have a 98 4wd and I need to replace the front left cv axle. I've searched other threads to avoid resurrecting an old topic but couldn't find anything. The boot has been torn for a bit and I've already waited too long in replacing it. I though about just a replacement boot but I've decided that this is just more of a "band-aid" fix and I don't want the axle completely seizing up and likely causing more damage. So I looked into it and I was surprised to find that a replacement axle from auto zone was only around $65. Is this a good axle though? I do have a 2" leveling spacer with 32's and I do moderate off-roading. I want something durable but I am newly wed, in college and on a tight budget. Suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
im in the same boat as you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 186000mps View Post
Here's some helpful links

CV replacement: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/cv_axle/

Also Boot slide mod: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-cv-boots.html

More helpful links here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ful-links.html

RockAuto and Camelback Toyota are good sources for parts, both vendors here on TW.
DO NOT DO THE BOOT SLIDE MOD WITH THE HISE CLAMP!! It doesnt work. it is why i am replacing my axles not from rubbing, but from the mod itself.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've been rocking the Autozone CV on the driver side of my truck for about a year now with no issues. And thats wheeling with 35's on my truck, though I dont get too throttle happy with it.

The job was total cake for me, between pulling the truck into my shop to pulled out and tools put back away it only took me 45 min.
Basically jack it up, pull your tire, pull the center cap over the castle nut, remove the castle nut, remove the lower spindle bolts to separate the spindle from the lower control arm, pop the inner CV section out from the diff with a pry bar(oil catch under the diff), slide the new CV into the diff and just reverse the process at this point.
Only 'specialty' tool you need is a big-ass socket for the castle nut. I forget the size, but I did have to go buy one and a 3/4" drive breaker bar as well as my 1/2" drive set wasnt big enough.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #9
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've never done this. How hard/ complicated is it? Special tools?
It's not difficult to do. It's basically two extra steps along with the cv axle replacement. After removing the old cv axle pull the old seal then press in the new seal and that's it.

I believe the seal is supposed to be pressed to be flush with the diff housing where the cv axle goes in. You don't need a special tool to press in the seal but I would recommend an seal puller tool. I picked up one from autozone for like $10 or something like that. My seal was corroded to the housing so it was a little more difficult but the seal puller helped a lot.

The seal puller I got looks like this:

Another thing:
Make sure you loctite and torque to spec the bolts that hold the spindle and lower ball joints together!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #10

if i do both axles is that 2 seals, one for each side?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #11
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
if i do both axles is that 2 seals, one for each side?
Yep, there's one on each side so you will need 2 seals if doing both axles
Old 07-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #12

is it this pinion seal? that's all i can find.. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=11929_0_0_
Old 07-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Plastidipped ma Hootus!

kmok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is it this pinion seal? that's all i can find.. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ier=11929_0_0_
Sorry, I believe it is the axle shaft seal

Edit: There's not a picture and the price seems too high. I'm not sure that is the correct one
I think it's the "output shaft seal" I ordered them from the Toyota dealership near me and had the guy at the parts counter figure out what the part was
Old 07-13-2013, 06:35 AM   #14
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
I had at one point used the autozone cv's in my truck and they didn't last a year...of course we have a ton of salt on the roads in the winter which could have added to the problem.

I brought my autozone one's back to the store and got a full refund!

I decided to have my factory CV's rebuilt with high angle/porsche boots...all in, just a little more expensive than the autozone ones.

You have a CV rebuilder in your area??? Might be worth looking into.

And by the way I did NOT do the boots slide mod, on recommendation of the guys who rebuilt them.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...-cv-boots.html
Old 07-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
im in the same boat as you.

DO NOT DO THE BOOT SLIDE MOD WITH THE HISE CLAMP!! It doesnt work. it is why i am replacing my axles not from rubbing, but from the mod itself.

then you did it wrong
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
1998tacoma4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Matt
1998tacoma4x4's Tacoma Gallery
So I plan on doing the axle swap here on Monday and my question is where can I get a torque wrench that goes up to 175 foot pounds? All the ones I'm finding max out at 100 or less.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
LOW.LIGHT.WIDE
mrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbeggins is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tanner
mrbeggins's Tacoma Gallery
And the giant nut is a 36mm in case you were wondering.... I used a 1/2" impact to remove mine. If you don't have an impact, stick a screw driver (big flat blade) in between the 2 halves of your brake rotor. The slotted part. It'll stop everything from turning once the screwdriver reaches the caliper. Bust it loose with a breaker bar and your good to go
Old 11-10-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
Probably should'nt have done that.
4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4banger4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
4banger4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998tacoma4x4 View Post
So I plan on doing the axle swap here on Monday and my question is where can I get a torque wrench that goes up to 175 foot pounds? All the ones I'm finding max out at 100 or less.
i got 150lbs wrench from northerntool. once it maxed out i gave it a few more turns to go up to 180lbs. 2 months and everything is holding tight. if you have manual hubs make sure you know how to get cone washers off, and ive got two diff seals one for each side sitting in my tool box. i didnt realize that ecgs sent there diffs with seals already in them. They are OEM, ill ship them for $20. They cost me 12 each plus tax