Notices

Throttle Randomly Stops Working

Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
FrayHavoc is on a distinguished road
Navy: Aviation Electrician Second Class
FrayHavoc's Tacoma Gallery
Throttle Randomly Stops Working

2004, 6 CYLINDER, 4X4, MANUAL TRANSMISSION

I just bought my first Toyota 2 weeks ago. So far, I highly enjoy the vehicle, although I hate the dealership. I am already having issues with the vehicle, but the dealership refuses to do anything about it. Since I do maintenance on airplanes and motorcycles, I want to try and fix this myself. I need some help though. Here is a detailed description of the current gripe.

----Throttle Randomly Stops Working
-In any gear, and when either steady on the throttle, or accelerating, the throttle cuts out, and the truck starts to slow down.
-When the truck is slowing down, increasing the throttle does not cause the engine to rev up, nor an increase in speed.
-This last for about 3-4 seconds, then the truck accelerates to a speed in accordance with the current throttle position.
- This is very random. Sometimes it will happen several times when driving to work, sometimes it won't happen at all.
- No check engine light.

Thanks for reading.
Respectfully,
FrayHavoc
Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 PM   #2
Mark16q is on a distinguished road
Mark16q's Tacoma Gallery
I had the exact same symptoms and turned out to be a bad brake light switch.crazy I know but worth checking. My clue was that I saw the brake lights flicker while parked. I had checked maf ,obd threw no errors was losing hope but 20 dollars for the switch and good to go. Hope this helps. Mark
Old 07-12-2013, 04:26 AM   #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post
I had the exact same symptoms and turned out to be a bad brake light switch.crazy I know but worth checking. My clue was that I saw the brake lights flicker while parked. I had checked maf ,obd threw no errors was losing hope but 20 dollars for the switch and good to go. Hope this helps. Mark
Thanks much, I'll check on this tonight.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
In 03, toyota started doing the drive by wire. So I would check the connection on the throttle body where the gas wire connects and also check the throttle position sensor. I think it will give you the same symptoms when it's going out. These are all ideas considering the fact that I've never worked on the drive by wire trucks.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
^ You sure? Mine is a 2rz so maybe different there but it's an 04 and definitely a cable throttle.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Southern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSouthern01Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Southern01Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTaco View Post
^ You sure? Mine is a 2rz so maybe different there but it's an 04 and definitely a cable throttle.
I'm fairly positive that it is, I'm not 100% though. But it might only be v6 models.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark16q View Post

No brake light flickering, not even when throttle issue occurs. I think it happens more often at about half a tank of gas or lower. There's always this certain fuel level about mid-way when it really starts acting up. It rarely ever happens when it's full of fuel.

I'm going to check all things you recommended Southern01Taco, and I'll update everyone. Thank you all for your time and support to help get my truck operating properly. None of you know me, or owe me anything, so I really apperciate your time and thought on this matter.

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Yotafish is a splendid one to beholdYotafish is a splendid one to beholdYotafish is a splendid one to beholdYotafish is a splendid one to beholdYotafish is a splendid one to beholdYotafish is a splendid one to beholdYotafish is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Chief Legalman
Yotafish's Tacoma Gallery
Check the throttle body assembly. There were some design issues in 2003-04 models and there are a few threads on some of the other forums. TTORA I know for sure. I ended up replacing mine and it turns out the replacement for those years has been re-engineered or something to that affect. Either way I had the issue for well over a year almost daily and I wouldnt drive it with my kids in the car as it would stall almost anywhere and sometimes in an intersection or pulling out in traffic. i tried everything to fix it. Iron Pig in Fredericksburg replaced it and they also bypassed the coolant line as some others were doing on other boards. it's been over two years now with not one "hiccup". My "buddy" at the dealership claims Toyota knows about it but until there are enough complaints and issues nothing is going to happen......not sure if that is a fact but I wouldn't be surprised.