1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking radiator or front end

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Codeyota, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    Codeyota

Codeyota [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Flagstaff AZ- Grants Pass, OR
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    Hey guys first off let me state I'm a newb at fixing things! But am eager to learn. So I was attempting to flush my radiator yesterday. I drained the coolant out, flushed with distilled water, then added the zyrex flush cleaner along with more distilled water until it was full the bottle says to run your truck for 3-6 hours for a complete flush. Yesterday I noticed leaks but I figured it was just my a/c. I drove again today and noticed it was leaking again way more then an a/c ever should. I inspected the leaks and its leaking from both driver and passengers sides of the truck. Like both corners of the radiator. The peacock valve appears to be tight and secure. I have no idea what the issue is and I need help! There are no leaks on the Upper radiator hose... Could it be a thermostat leak? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    was is leaking before you flushed it?

3. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    No, everything was fine.

4. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    I looked at the front of the radiator where the grill is and the bottom 1/2 inch of the grill has water across the entire grill...

5. Jul 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    blakes09

blakes09 Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Deep South
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    you could have flushed some sediments out of the radiator that was keeping it from leaking

6. Jul 13, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    I should have just left it! I was trying to be MR. Preventative maintenance and look what happens! What do you suggest I do?

7. Jul 13, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    Here are the pics where it is leaking and how the radiator grill has water on the bottom.

taco 1.jpg
    taco 2.jpg

8. Jul 13, 2013 at 12:30 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    This.

But before you jump to conclusions, hose the radiator and frame area off, then take it for a drive to get it all warmed up. If there is still antifreeze there, I would guess the radiator is leaking. Changing one isn't that hard.

I plan to replace my radiator when the first coolant change is due. This has bit me in the ass a couple of times already.

Edit: You say water. Is it really water, or it is coolant? Coolant should be red or green depending on what you put in it. You know you can't run straight water in the cooling system, right?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  9. Jul 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I haven't taken a look at my radiator, so not to familiar. Is there a bottom hose? Is there any leakage from the hoses or clamp area? While its running Try to see where the fluid is seeping from. You could try some radiator stop leak but if the issue persists I'd recommend a new radiator. Shouldn't be to complicated to replace.

10. Jul 13, 2013 at 12:31 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Other than the drain-cock and the radiator cap, what else did you open up?

Is the rad cap back on properly?

11. Jul 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    Yes I know it cannot be ran with just water. I have the zyrex deep cleaninng chemical in there with water. The bottle says to run the truck for 3-6 hours with it under normal driving conditions. I have checked the upper hoses, and the lower radiator hoses with no apparent leaks. The water is actually dripping off of the clamps on the hoses, but the water is coming from above the hoses which appears to be the radiator! Is it hard to take the radiator off?

12. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:10 PM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    So water is seeping from the gills? If that's the case I would suggest replacing it with a new radiator. You could try the stop leak if you can't afford to purchase one right away, but wouldn't drive for too long with a busted radiator.

13. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:12 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5

unbolt fan shroud then unbolt the radiator and unhook the hoses top and bottom and pull it out

14. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:35 PM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    2000gttacoma how many bolts are supposed to be take off? I have the fan cover over but I'm having a hell of a time getting the radiator bolts off...

15. Jul 13, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I think I had to take my grill off.. There are two bolts you get at from the engine bay, and two from the front

16. Jul 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    Okay so I took the radiator out and I cannot find any cracks or anything anywhere....

17. Jul 13, 2013 at 5:07 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    OK,

Back-up a minute....Did you find the definite source of your leak BEFORE pulling the radiator ???? ;)

Being the weekend I doubt you will find a shop that can "pressure test " that thing BUT if you DO NOT find the source...slow down and CALL your local Parts store and see if they "Pressure test" cooling systems...

This will be a P.I.A. BUT until you find the "LEAK" ...PLEASE stop just "pulling parts"....

IF anyone can do a pressure test you will have too remount the radiator back in your Tacoma and drive it too them...

Good luck finding,fixing and LEARNING about your Tacoma...:cool:

18. Jul 13, 2013 at 5:17 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Having coolant in it should make it easy to see where its leaking. You can always catch the coolant and reuse it later.

X2 on the pressure test. Some of the better stocked parts stores have pressure testers in stock. I would think most would have a radiator in stock also. But yeah, to pressure test it yourself you're going to have to put it back in the truck.

If you have a local radiator shop, they could test it out of the truck, I'd imagine.

I don't advocate buying parts without a diagnosis, but a 10 year old radiator is old enough to be replaced as a preventative measure, in my opinion. I've seen them blow out and cause overheating, that's not a good thing.

19. Jul 14, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    First off, I'd like to say thank you for all of your prompt responses, and knowledge. I really appreciate how willing everyone here is to help. Alright guys so here is where im at. after pulling the radiator out last night, I couldn't find any cracks, leaks on the radiator or the hoses either. I called up my mechanic back home in Oregon and followed his instructions. he said put everything back together. fill it back up with distilled water take it for a spin around the block with the heater on high. I currently live in phx az, let me tell you how enjoyable that was! I got home and to my astonishment my truck wasntt leaking a drop of anything. so I drained the water and filled it back up with coolant and took that hotter then hell spin around the block again. I just woke up and my garage is squeaky clean. my guy says he thinks water may have been caught in the fins of the radiator.he says they can hold alot of water, and when I initially poured water into the radiator I did spill a fair amount. I hope that's what it is but im not letting my gaurd down. if I have any further issues, pressure test it is! thanks again men!

20. Jul 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM
    Codeyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Vehicle:
    03 dblCab TRD 4x4
    So here I am again coolant all over my garage floor. I said screw it I'm going to have a mechanic check it out! The did a pressure test and I had a hole in the phins on the fan side ;S So I'm getting that replaced now... Along with new hoses. The mechanic seems great, has very good reviews on garagefly and has only had his business open for about 7 months. I'm also having him do my water pump, and timing belt at the same time. $$$$$

Products Discussed in

To Top