1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Please Help- must travel far- 14 mpg!!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sbvaughn88, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Feb 28, 2009 at 4:02 PM
    sbvaughn88

sbvaughn88 [OP] Member

Member:
    Grove City, OH
    Vehicle:
    4dr Sr5 V6 TRD
    Okay guys here it is- I am looking for any advice about my issue before I suck it up, grab my ankles, and bend over for Toyota. I have changed my O2 sensor and A/F Sensor (Before Cats) to get my check engine light to go off- The rear sensor is a Bosch and the front is from Toyota. Upon changing the rear sensor light did not go off and changed the front and it did. I thought the problem was solved until my gas mileage dropped about 7 or 8 miles per gallon! I tried changing the plugs- they all looked ok, I tried seafoam (truck seems to idle a little better), and I cleaned my MAF Sensor and throttle body-- No change....I scratched my head and then remembered another post that talked about "soft codes" the computer stores so I travel to Advance. The guy hooked it up and I pulled 3 codes on the scanner but have no CEL light??? they are....

P0440...EVAP incorrect purge flow
    P0441...EVAP VSV Circuit fault
    P0446...EVAP vent control malfunction

I have not idea what these mean, nor am i sure that they are related to the drop in MPG that happened. The only stupid thing I did was hack the old front sensor to death trying to get it out- Ohio has bad rust problems, basically cut it in half leaving an exposed hole in the exhaust and then drove it to a buddys house about 30 miles away to use a torch to free the bolts. Then installed sensor. I noticed the MPG drop on the way to his house- you could and still can watch the gas gauge needle go down. I am beyond my knowledge here??? Other than that the truck idles fine, drives fine, no funny smells, no huge loss in power maybe very minor, and sounds ok. Toyota wants $102 flat fee just to look at it and maybe tell me what the problem is and judging by the guy I talked to on the phone (who didn't know that the computer could store codes without throwing a CEL light) I think the minds on this forum are far superior. Any help would be greatly appreciated.....I have to drive to Tennessee next week which is 8 hrs away and 12-14 mpg won't do my wallet any favors.

2. Mar 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I would clear the codes. AS the engine light is no longer lit, it may be fine now, but the engine could be in "limp mode".......Just thinking out loud.....

Products Discussed in

To Top