1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

CatCo catalytic converters

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Mainmoe02, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Jul 15, 2013 at 9:14 AM
    Mainmoe02

Mainmoe02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    I'm curious if these will last a long while?

I finally found a muffler shop that knows my tacoma can't just take any aftermarket cat conv. They stand behind their Catco converters w/ a 5 year warranty. The guy I spoke with said... The reason cheap aftermarket cats don't last on these trucks is because they are not heavy duty (he used a different term than heavy duty) and these trucks need either heavy duty or extra heavy duty cat converters or else their not gonna last longer than a couple months.

So, they have these Catco cats that are built to last, even on our trucks. They are not direct fit and need to be welded but as long as its gonna last, I don't mind if its welded on.

Last question...
    I was told that since the rear cat is bad, that means I need to replace both front and rear. Is this true?

I will also be replacing the O2 sensors with denso's from rock auto.

2. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    3" lift EIBACH coils w/ 5100's front, OME/ Dakar leaf springs w/ toytec adjustable shackles at 1.5" and 5125's out back. 33x10.5x15 KM2's Relentless DIY steel bumper.
    Anyone???

3. Jul 15, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    I also got the denso sensors from rockauto. I got front and rear magnaflow 50 state cats from autoanything. From what I understand if you replace just one it wears out quicker because its doing more work than the other one you didn't replace.. But I'm not sure on that. I did a bit of research and I don't think catco makes 50 state cats.. They're still not as good as magnaflow. I'd just get them and call it a day! Lots of people out there happy with magnaflow

4. Jul 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    Yeah that's what I keep hearing, magnaflow cats are the way to go. Are there certain options for the 50 states legal cats that fit our trucks? I've seen the ones on auto anything, but I want to make sure I get the correct one.

Although I have read a couple (2) people say that the Catco cats did the job well. I couldn't find anymore reviews on here so I'm hoping others that have used the Catco brand will chime in

5. Jul 15, 2013 at 8:00 PM
    SPOTSONTROUT

SPOTSONTROUT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ROB
    SOUTHERN ONTARIO CANADA
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Stolen
    OME 882,DAKAR LEAF PAC WITH ADDA LEAF,285 TOYO OPEN COUNTRY MT,RACELINE RENAGADES,DECK PLATE MOD, MANUAL HUB CONVERSION
    There are two types of cats that magnaflow sells for the first gen, 49 state and the cali emission cats. Easy to find out wich one you need, just pop the hood and locate your emissions sticker it will say which one you have. Then order away.

6. Jul 15, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Mainmoe02

Member:
    First Name:
    Moe
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    01 Gold tacoma SR5 TRD
    If I get the Catco or any aftermarket cat that matches my emmissions sticker, will they work if they match the sticker? Like I said I know people have had good experience with magnaflow. But today I was introduced to the Catco brand and since its a little easier on the wallet I was hoping that brand would work. Plus comes with 5 year warranty from the muffler shop.

I'm not sure if those that have had bad experiences with aftermarket cats is because they had some cheap cat put on. Or if its because they matched the emissions numbers with the cat and it still threw a code after a month or so. I was told that the Catco cat matches emissions numbers on my truck and that the cats i need are made for California emissions. This is the first shop I've come to that hasn't tried to make a quick $300 and put some cheap cat on.

They actually told me that I shouldn't just put any cheap aftermarket cat on my truck because it won't last. He sells the magnaflow 50 states legal cats but he has to order them and with install its around $800 for both cats. The Catco price is $600, so a couple hundred cheaper.

Another option I was thinking about is...
    Ordering a universal 50 states legal cat from either magnaflow or Catco, make sure it matches my emmissions info from my truck, then see if I can have a shop cut and weld them in for me. That way I should only get charged for labor. Not sure which route to go?

7. Jul 15, 2013 at 8:33 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Before 2001 Toyota made either federal emmission or California emmissions. Then they switched in 2001, so you need Cali emmissions. Just get magnaflows, they have a good rep, I have them and am very happy with them, even got a little more throaty tone from them. I also have a magnaflow cat back

8. Jul 16, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    se7enine

se7enine MCMLXXIX

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Lexus GX470
    I've used Catco on all my cars, they work great and are cheap. I actually picked up a used one for my Tacoma for $30 new and used that to clear my code and smog. I also had one in my 240SX for years and never had any problems while I had it. Had them all in 4 cyl so didn't really need a hi flow cat cause it wouldn't have made a difference. Just spent the extra money else where.

Products Discussed in

To Top