Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

LED Turn Signals

Old 07-17-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
LED Turn Signals

Hey been awhile since I've posted here, finally got some money to splurge on the Taco!! I bought these cool LED turn signal boards to put behind my side mirrors, kinda give it that updated look I guess, they were fairly cheap. Going to wire them up when they get here hopefully in about a week. Anyone else done this? I searched some but did not find anything. I'll make this into a DIY thread when I do and add it to the DIY and How-to thread. I'll even buy some to sell here if enough people like them.

Now to take my door apart...
Old 07-28-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Well I see why no one bothered with this thread...FML this was a horrible idea that went wrong at every turn!

First off I read every post I swear about how to remove door panels...I never once saw anyone mention that you have to slide the door panel to the front of the truck I think to get the interior door handle to slide off its hook thingies. So I broke that first...

Next I removed my mirror..thankfully the white plastic backing that is attached to the motor part did not snap or break...

After that I needed to remove the 3 screws that hold the hinge in piece (atleast I think thats what holds it together lol) So I stripped one and broke another one off, they locktite'd the lil shits! Ugh I'll either try a easy out or drill it out to fix it...

Then the glass mirror needs to come off the plastic backing...and theres some serious adhesive on there, stuff is like 1/8th of a inch thick and tar like consistency. I poured some goof off all over it scrapped what I could off with a flatblade..now time to start prying around the edges on the backside where the adhesive still has a hold of some pieces....and ofcourse I apply just alittle too much pressure and break the damn mirror. Ughh now I hope the glass shop I bought my last mirror from still has them cheap ($8-12 last time I needed one).

Well I dunno what to say except don't do this..lol unless you have extra mirror parts of way better luck than me...I'll update when I get this effin hell of a project done...I'm gonna damn well do it now that I went to all this expense...
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Actually you do not need to slide the door panel forward. You can grasp the door handle itself after you remove the crew, and slide it backwards and it comes unhooked. Had to do this several times over the past few years with the Tacomas I have worked on. If you need any help on this, hit me up. I'll be more than happy to do what I can.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
that was'nt a vitamin!!

pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Actually you do not need to slide the door panel forward. You can grasp the door handle itself after you remove the crew, and slide it backwards and it comes unhooked. Had to do this several times over the past few years with the Tacomas I have worked on. If you need any help on this, hit me up. I'll be more than happy to do what I can.
Thanks man, yea I should of made a post or thread...but decided to learn the hard way hehe, I think it'll still work...if not I'll buy a new one. I bought some dielectric grease for the back of the LED circuit boards though today, so they won't short out from any water getting in there.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
how are you going to make them show through the mirror?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Cool idea but sounds like a lot of work.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
how are you going to make them show through the mirror?
x2 ?? Sounds cool, but I am not sure what you are trying to do, because the mirror is not transparent.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
that was'nt a vitamin!!

pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I was going to see if they would shine through the mirror, if not I may use some chemicals to rub the backing off. I thought it would be a neat project at first....but damn its killing me bought a new mirror glass today for $16.50 :s Well atleast when I get done I'll definitely be the only Taco with these coz its a PITA hahaha
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
Yea I was going to see if they would shine through the mirror, if not I may use some chemicals to rub the backing off. I thought it would be a neat project at first....but damn its killing me bought a new mirror glass today for $16.50 :s Well atleast when I get done I'll definitely be the only Taco with these coz its a PITA hahaha
I'm pretty sure they won't shine through the mirror. Chemical removal will also not work since it will take all the backing off and it will not be a mirror anymore. I would say you need to lay out the exact LED locations and just scrape those small little squares off with the tip of a sharp knife or thin chisel for the light to shine through. As said above, those areas will not be mirror anymore, so I don't know how that will affect your vision - technically create a bunch of blind spots.
The newer cars with the lights in the mirrors use a different type of mirror (like one-way glass) that is see-through from the back but still mirror on the other side. Regular mirror use solid paint on the back - in simple terms.
Great idea but I don't think it was thought through enough before you started.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #11
Crew Dawg Dave is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Ret.
Crew Dawg Dave's Tacoma Gallery
Question How did it turn out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
I gotta ask.... Did you finish this project or scrap it?

I want to put LED blinkers on the outside of the mirrors (Like this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...tures-how.html ) on my 03 PreRun.

Dave
Old 10-22-2014, 01:30 PM   #12
Master of all I survey.
Indy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Indy's Tacoma Gallery
He probably realized that if you take the backing off a mirror, you have a piece of glass. Then he climbed a high tower...