Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Locked up brake system

Old 07-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
SamK is on a distinguished road
Name: Sam
SamK's Tacoma Gallery
Locked up brake system

Our 2000 SR5 brakes locked up a couple of weeks ago. They were engaged continuously, and the brake petal had no play - press it and it was like you are pushing up against a brick wall. I had no time to look at it before leaving on a two-week trip. I returned home, my wife had moved it to an alternate parking spot, and the brakes are freed up - acting normally. Any opinion as to what "was" wrong? Driving it with not fixing anything makes me a bit nervous...would not want a repeat on the open road.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a bad master cylinder.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
Put it on jack stands, and pull the caliper off. Buy a rebuild kit, and rebuild the caliper yourself (rebuild kits from local dealership)

They might have gotten water contamination and started rusting...
Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
SamK is on a distinguished road
Name: Sam
SamK's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced brake hardware when problem first showed up. The problem went away for awhile but reappeared, and was alot worse. Posted problem to this site, and took advice to replace the master cylinder. Locking up problem went away. Another problem (gradual loosing petal over a week or two after bleeding) is haunting us now...on to another post.