Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Replacing A Leaky Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Old 07-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #1
Newby is on a distinguished road
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Replacing A Leaky Exhaust Manifold Gasket

Hello everyone,

I need your help please. The Exhaust Manifold at the passenger side of my 96 Tacoma V6 4x4 makes a lot of noise or big noise because it has a leaky. I plan to fix it myself. I did lots of researches online but I didn't get any clear/enough information. Thus, I post and need your help here. Please answer the following questions for me if you can.

1. Can I just unbolt the secure of the manifold and pry it back far enough to remove the gasket and replace it?

2. Can I do it without taking off the crossover pipe that connects to the two Exhaust Manifold underneath the Engine?

3. Can I get the gaskets from any auto parts except dealership?

4. What do you call it and what part number is it?

Have anyone of you done it before? Please give me some subjections, a write up, and some pix if you can.

Your input will be appreciated.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #2
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Pics of where it's leaking? You'll have to disconnect the crossover pipe, and regasket everything. Hopefully you won't break any studs, that can be really annoying. Using a torch to heat bolts and knowing when something is going to snap and taking time to get everything off cleanly is important. A broken stud can set you back quite some time.. I'd get new bolts for everything and new gaskets for the manifold and crossover pipe. Also I have a set of manifolds and crossover out of my 02 if your manifold is cracked or something
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Pics of where it's leaking? You'll have to disconnect the crossover pipe, and regasket everything. Hopefully you won't break any studs, that can be really annoying. Using a torch to heat bolts and knowing when something is going to snap and taking time to get everything off cleanly is important. A broken stud can set you back quite some time.. I'd get new bolts for everything and new gaskets for the manifold and crossover pipe. Also I have a set of manifolds and crossover out of my 02 if your manifold is cracked or something
Thanks for your advice. I don't have a torch so I'll buy a can of PB Blaster to spray for the bolts. Do you think it'll help? By chance, do you do a write up when you did on yours? I have never done it on Toyota and the V6 before so I don't know where to start with. Any subjection?

I'll try my best to do it, but, just in case, if I break mine. I'll contact you about your set of manifolds and crossover.

I'm at work now but I'll try to pix it here as soon as I can this evening when I get home.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah! Soak them for like two weeks prior overnight.. But sometimes you really need a torch for stuff like that. I did an engine swap, gues I should have made a thread about it but I didn't..
Old 07-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Yeah! Soak them for like two weeks prior overnight.. But sometimes you really need a torch for stuff like that. I did an engine swap, gues I should have made a thread about it but I didn't..
Ok, I'll try to soak them.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
Here are the pix of my Exhaust System. It leaks on the connection:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/s.../ppuser/100792

Old 07-18-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
I already sprayed some PB Blaster for the bolts. I'll start tearing it apart tomorrow if I have time. I'll report back to you as soon as possible.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM   #8
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
I soaked for three days and I tried to take off those bolts which hold the exhaust but it's not easy to do. I'll check with the shop to see how much they'll charge.I tried to take off those bolts which hold the exhaust but it's not easy to do. I'll check with the shop to see how much they'll charge.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
I checked with two shops this morning. One is a garage and the other one is a muffler shop. They both charge me $50 per hour and it could be about an hour or more. Is it true and is it a good price to do it?
Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Newby's Tacoma Gallery
I finally ended up at the shop to fix my exhaust leak. The mechanic charged me $62.99 for the labor plus three gaskets. I paid $109 for everything.