Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Hids on 95 taco?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1
Pogimoto is on a distinguished road
Name: Jayr
Pogimoto's Tacoma Gallery
Hids on 95 taco?

Hey everyone, I've searched and couldn't find anything good. Has anyone attempted installing HiD kits on a 95 tacoma? I noticed my headlights seem like they are one unit with the bulb? At this point I'm confused, never dealt with a headlight as one unit.. Any info or links is appreciated!
Old 07-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...o-mini-h1.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...es-please.html
Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #4
Thanks for the links, I get the idea but still don't understand becausey headlights are completely different from those vehicles on the link you sent me.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
stikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shedstikle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
stikle's Tacoma Gallery
Your original (OEM) Toyo headlights are what are called "sealed beam", meaning that the bulb, glass, and housing are all one piece. You have to remove the front grill and then replace the entire sealed beam if a bulb goes out or the glass gets cracked.

You have 3 options:
  1. Replace them with OEMs at about $10 each
  2. Replace them with aftermarket housings that will take a standard H4 Halogen bulb:
    Pilot Housings on Amazon
  3. Replace the housings with aftermarket and do a full HID conversion. See my postings HERE.

I do NOT recommend going with option #2 and then using HID bulbs. That's the least desirable thing to do as many many people on here will inform you.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
se7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shedse7enine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

se7enine's Tacoma Gallery
You can get a set of ballasts cheap at pull yards, I've found a couple pairs for under $20. Then you will need D2S bulbs and projectors and a clear lens housing so as not to disturb the beam pattern once fitted with the projector. I plan on doing this in the future but still need to buy some decent projectors, maybe some Morimoto Mini D2S projectors http://www.theretrofitsource.com/index.php?cPath=25
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
ffnoahd is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
ffnoahd's Tacoma Gallery
I bought Hella glass housings that accept a h4 bullb and then bought an hid kit from ddm tuning.
Browse summit by your year truck and they will pop op, not cheap but great quality.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
I have the universal hella housings. I tried to install my hid kid and the bulbs don't want to turn on? Is there a special way in installing the hids? Feels like my truck has no electric power to even turn the unit on. But a regular h4 bulb turns on fine.