Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Radiators

Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
jdarcy is on a distinguished road
jdarcy's Tacoma Gallery
Radiators

My 2001 Tacoma needs a new radiator and I would like to save money by purchasing one at autozone, but I don't want to buy one that will break or leak. The Toyota dealer told me a new oem one would be $275 while the autozone one is $150. Does anyone have experience with these? Is it worth paying almost twice as much for a toyota radiator?
Also, My truck is a prerunner model with an automatic transmission. Do I purchase the 4 wheel drive radiator?
Thanks for the help
Old 07-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarcy View Post
My 2001 Tacoma needs a new radiator and I would like to save money by purchasing one at autozone, but I don't want to buy one that will break or leak. The Toyota dealer told me a new oem one would be $275 while the autozone one is $150. Does anyone have experience with these? Is it worth paying almost twice as much for a toyota radiator?
Also, My truck is a prerunner model with an automatic transmission. Do I purchase the 4 wheel drive radiator?
Thanks for the help

I just put the second autozone radiator in mine. The first one started leaking after 4 years. Lifetime warranty so it didn't cost me but a gallon of antifreeze. I would go oem. Also there are different size radiators. 20 and 3/4 or 22 and 5/8 will work fine for your application. The radiators are the same width one is just taller than the other. If you get it from Toyota just have them run your vin and get the same size that is currently in it.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
jdarcy is on a distinguished road
jdarcy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000GTacoma View Post
I just put the second autozone radiator in mine. The first one started leaking after 4 years. Lifetime warranty so it didn't cost me but a gallon of antifreeze. I would go oem. Also there are different size radiators. 20 and 3/4 or 22 and 5/8 will work fine for your application. The radiators are the same width one is just taller than the other. If you get it from Toyota just have them run your vin and get the same size that is currently in it.
Thanks. Are the Autozone ones of good quality? Would you buy one again or would you just pay the $275 for the Toyota?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarcy View Post
Thanks. Are the Autozone ones of good quality? Would you buy one again or would you just pay the $275 for the Toyota?
Well the tank on the bottom of the first autozone one started leaking after 4 years. Even though it only costed me about 20 bucks in antifreeze I would go back oem. Try the camelback Toyota guy here if you are not in a hurry and can wait a few days he may be able to give you a better price.