Notices

Stock 3.4 Intake Question

Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
dirtytacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines:
Name: Cody
dirtytacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Stock 3.4 Intake Question

So my Tacoma came with an AEM CAI and I thought well cool now I don't have to buy one, but after going through some decently sized mud/water holes and having my truck stall on me when I do I have decided that I rather have a stock intake that better protects against water. So my question is how well does the stock intake do against water? Keep in mind the stuff I go through is at most bumper height but the trouble comes from when I speed through it and water comes over the entire truck. Also my brother had a 98 4 banger with a stock intake and he never had water issues.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #2
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to beholdARB1977 is a splendid one to behold

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Your better off with stock intake and a snorkel. Water isn't a good thing.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
one hydrolock session will probably kill the engine, literally....if you are going to do water, get a snorkel, your engine will be so much happier...
Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Marines:
Yeah I have been strongly considering going back to stock and possibly a snorkel. How good will the stock air intake hold up to water? Not submerged of course but water coming on top of it ect?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Just slow down and don't plow into deep water.

Creep in, push the wake in front of your truck, then make sure you're always behind said wake.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Just slow down and don't plow into deep water.

Creep in, push the wake in front of your truck, then make sure you're always behind said wake.
Yes that would be a better and money saving way to do it, but im 18 and love to show off so sometimes it just doesn't cross my mind
Old 07-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #8
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
since you are 18 with a nervous right foot, get the snorkel setup, you are an accident waiting for a wreck, hydrolocking wise....
Old 07-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldegle2 View Post
since you are 18 with a nervous right foot, get the snorkel setup, you are an accident waiting for a wreck, hydrolocking wise....
X2
Also do the diff breather mod
Old 07-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #10
Marines:
For a snorkel set up I do need a stock intake right? as for the diff breather, what does that do exactly?