1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Changing rear brake shoes (with mediocre pics)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Jul 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I didn't really come across a good write up on replacing the rear brake shoes. So ill throw up some pics of what I did (with the guidance of Andy) in case anyone needs a quick reference.

Tools:

Vice grips, possibly 2
    Rear spring/washer remover tool
    spring grip tool (if you have it)
    screw driver
    hammer
    punch
    vice
    misc. general crap

extra parts:

brake cleaner
    appropriate replacement brake shoes with hardware

So, step one is to get the truck up on a jack stand. Put the truck in park and chalk the wheels. I just put it under the axle housing on the side i was working on enough to get the tire off the ground. Once the tire is off you have to take off the drum. You can pound on it with a hammer around the studs and around the top to break it free. you can also pry at in in between the drum and the dust shield with a flat head screw driver.

Once the drum is off you have access to the rear brake assembly. There are a ton of parts, but it's not that hard. The only key thing is to make sure when you take it all off, and remember exactly how it all goes back on. Taking a picture or two will help you for reference.

Step one is removing the e brake cable. It is actually not in the picture, but its not hard. Just stretch it out and pull it out from the little track its in, then you can remove it from the clip on the left side and it will pop out of the stopper on the right side.

brake.jpg

Step 2 is removing the lower spring. This is where you want some thin needle nose vice grips and the screw driver. You have to just man handle it and pry is out of the holes the springs are stuck in and stretch em out enough to pull them out. Don't be too timid about clamping down on them and prying at them, they are pretty durable springs.

Step 3 is removing the spring that tightens the adjustment screw lock. Similar to the lower spring, just get the vice grips on it and pry it off.

Step 4 is removing the pins and springs that go through the center of the shoes and hold them some what in place. This is where the fancy tool for this comes in handy, because it cups the slotted washer and lets you twist it, but im sure vice grips of pliers will work. just don't bend it. You hold the back of the pin (located on the backside of the backing plate) with your finger and twist the washer until the spring pushes it off the pin. then you can take everything out and set it down in the same way it came off. Do both of them.

brake.jpg

Now for step 5 you can remove both brake shoes with the main spring and adjuster attached. Just spread the shoes apart and pull the whole thing off and around the end of the hub. Also pull off that metal plate that the spring was attatched to in step 3.

By this point everything should be off the truck and on the ground.

[​IMG]

Now you get to pry the main spring off. Good luck. This is where a couple of vice grips (or a special tool) come in handy, to really stretch out that spring so you can pry it off.

[​IMG]

Now you have just the shoes with all of the hardware laid out how it should go back on. This would be a good time to clean everything.

Next we have to take one of our new shoes and put in a new pin that the adjuster lock sits on. This pin (along with other pieces) should come with the shoes. Make sure you put the pin in and stake it facing the right way (when in doubt, look at the pieces that came off)

pin.jpg

The pin is tricky because it has to be stamped on. What I did was put the pin in the brake shoe and in a vice, and take a center punch, and start pounding on the pin in the center to spread it. I pounded it until it started to split and fan out then I kept hitting it. Then I took the hammer and pounded on the pin and flattened it out to get it to stay in place. You can kind of see in this picture in the bottom left where the silver pin is flattened out.

5.jpg

After you get a new pin in, it is time to replace the e brake plate on the other shoe. Also supplied in the kit are 2 new pins and 2 horse shoe rings (one of each per side). Making sure the pin is going in the right way, just hammer in the head of the pin (is is going to take some beating to get a snug fit). You can also place the head of the pin flat on a metal surface (i used a vice) and pound the brake shoe around the pin to press it on all the way. Then place that e brake plate over the pin, tighten the horse shoe clip, and hammer that sucker on, and tighten it again. move the plate around to make sure it pivots around that pin easily without walking the clip off.

clip.jpg

Now that the new shoes are all ready it is time to put everything back together exactly how you took it off. This is also a good time to adjust that adjustment bolt all the way in to get the drum to fit back on, we will tighten it back up for the right fit once everything is assembled. To tighten it, and move the bolt in it gets turned to the right. To push the adjustment bolt out turn it to the left.

Putting it all back on is the reverse of taking it off. Place the adjustment bolt back in it's slot.

Stretch out the main spring and place it back in it's correct spot. Make sure it is on the right way as well before you put everything back together. This is not fun to have to take all apart an extra time.

Wrong way, derp.
    [​IMG]

Correct way
    5.jpg

After the adjustment screw is on, and the main spring is put back on in the correct place, slip on the metal plate over the small pin you stamped on and the spring you removed in step 3. (yes part of this step is backwards from how it got taken off, its easier to have that plate and little spring on before you put the brake shoes back over the hub)
    brake.jpg

Once those are all on you can slip the whole assembly back over the end of the hub in the correct place. Then put back on the center pins and springs you removed in step 4.

Now replace the bottom spring you removed in step 2, and re attach the e brake cable you removed in step one.
    4.jpg

Good job, now everything should be back together and reassembled the way it came off. Now you have to adjust the brakes for the drum. You want the drum to slide on with some resistance. Not too much, but it shouldn't slip on like it's been buttered.

If the drum does not fit over the brake shoes, and you need to tighten the adjustment screw (bring the shoes closer together), push back the adjustment plate (the thing sitting in the teeth of the adjustment screw in the back of the picture) and rotate the screw to the right. If you need to push the shoes out against the drum, move the screw to the left. When going to the left you should hear the little metal plate click as the teeth go over it.

[​IMG]

Once it is all good put the drum back on, put the tire on, tighten the lugs and you should be good to go.

NOTE!

On the other side (drivers side), the layout is mirrored. The e brake lever is on the left instead of the right.

Doing the other side

[​IMG]

Finished

[​IMG]

It might also be a good idea to bleed the brakes if you messed with the brake lines in any way at all. It only takes a minute.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    CrustyTaco, Blais03 and eyc0r like this.
  2. Jul 23, 2013 at 12:35 AM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    +1 :thumbsup:

One thing i would have done is replace the wheel cylinders while i was in there

JudoJohn likes this.
  3. Jul 23, 2013 at 12:38 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    meh, already spent 200 bucks dealing with the bearing. had enough with that axle. If its not broken, didnt want to mess with it haha.

4. Jan 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM
    4Paws

4Paws Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    '04 PreRunner
    Thanks for the write up and pictures. I've got everything back together, I just can't get that main spring pulled over enough to connect. Any advice would be much appreciated.

5. Jan 14, 2014 at 7:00 PM
    mkatts

mkatts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    95 Reg cab 4x4 2.7L
    I would.add that to remove the drum to start with a good saturation of penetrating oil.
    also a couple of the small holes between the studs arr threaded to be used as a puller of sorts.

TacoGrec_o likes this.
  6. Feb 22, 2015 at 2:57 AM
    cdelgado14

cdelgado14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Alice,Texas
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged micro machine ;)
    Bilstein 3 inch w/ 5100's
  7. Feb 22, 2015 at 4:21 AM
    smuook

smuook Daily Driver "Plus"

Member:
    First Name:
    Smuook
    Loganville, GA
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC V6 PreRunner
    Billy 5100, Satoshi, MBW Wheels, All Pro Front Bumper with 3x PIAA 530, LED dash lighting, other stuff too much to list
    Nice write up. How long did this take you?

8. Feb 22, 2015 at 4:31 AM
    MrGrimm

MrGrimm Mall Crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Dean
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD w/TRD Sport Package
    See build page
    This wouldnt be too much different from a 2nd gen would it? Its about that time for my rear brakes to get done.

9. Feb 23, 2015 at 5:30 AM
    Rucas

Rucas 1st gen

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Vehicle:
    1st gen. 4x4
    Custom Aluminum Camper
    ehh... subd. I need to do mine before Moab.

10. Feb 23, 2015 at 12:32 PM
    Indy

Indy Master of all I survey.

Member:

Drum brakes are pretty much universal for the last few decades. I've always popped both drums but only work on 1 side at a time. The other side is any easy reference if you lose track of how its supposed to look.

11. Feb 23, 2015 at 1:04 PM
    slander

slander Honorary Crawl Boi

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma, fixed with curse words.
    Good write up man you are lucky mine, are/were a mass of rusted parts and mud! I messed with mine for 2hrs and put all the old stuff back on and bought an fj 80 axle, no more drums :D:D:D. No more jungle gym of springs, and adjusters.

12. Aug 15, 2019 at 10:48 PM
    SpeedwayTaco160

SpeedwayTaco160 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Killeen TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Sport SWB DCSB
  13. Sep 9, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    Jooeee!

Jooeee! Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD Black Tacoma
    OC Cali!
    I did my rear drum breaks on my 04 Tacoma yesterday and it took me about 4 hours. Why so long you ask? I cleaned, greased, and double checked everything. I am going to check them again as soon as I drive it around for about 10 miles. Its not a daily driver and sits in my driveway & mostly gets driven on road trips. I did not want to take it to a shop that would have taken 30 min and not do what I did. All I have to do now is adjust the e-brake.

TWJLee and TacoTRD78 like this.
  14. Sep 14, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    skeezix

skeezix Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
  15. Apr 21, 2022 at 7:28 AM
    Taco Pastor

Taco Pastor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma V6 access cab 6spd Barcelona rec
    I know this was posted a while ago, but can anyone tell me if that was done to a 2nd Gen Tacoma? I mean we are on the 2nd gen tacomaworld.com site right?

16. Apr 21, 2022 at 7:40 AM
    Toyotadilly

Toyotadilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillynn
    Sarasota,fl
    Vehicle:
    03 prerunner 2008 Toyota Sequoia limited w/tow package..01 echo 310k soon daily
    Bilstein 5100’s.eibach coils.stoptech cryogenic rotors.1.25in toytec blocks.tranmission cooler. Electric fan w/ relay.
    1st gen fourm section

JudoJohn likes this.
  17. Apr 21, 2022 at 8:05 AM
    Taco Pastor

Taco Pastor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma V6 access cab 6spd Barcelona rec
  18. Apr 21, 2022 at 8:58 AM
    Nessal

Nessal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas/Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2003 V6 4X4 TRD DCAB
    Also remember to put brake grease on the 6 spots per the FSM.

TacoTRD78 likes this.
  19. Apr 21, 2022 at 10:25 AM
    robson1015

robson1015 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    New Concord, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2009 base tacoma- regular cab- 5 speed
    How many miles did those shoes have on them? they look pretty good from the pics...

Products Discussed in

To Top