1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

problems w/ blown head gasket

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by jb22384, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jul 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    jb22384

jb22384 [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    97 4WD V6 Ext. Cab
    the head gasket in my 97 tacoma has blown. should i have it repaired or have a new (to me) engine installed?

2. Jul 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM
    bb609

bb609 O.F.

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Sport Access Cab
    FOX 2 1/2" CO's STOCK UCA's - They used to be Icons! Icons suck!!! TSB Rear w/Bilstein 5100's - Air Lift System - Leer 550 Bedcover - Ventshades - Yota Bed Mat - Sheepskins!!! - Weathertechs
    I would pick up another motor. It's cheaper and quicker and I could do it myself, but that's me. Unless you've done extensive work on your truck, spending a pile on a newer motor is foolish IMO.

3. Jul 26, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    It all depends on how comfortable you are tearing it apart on your own. If you are comfortable and capable of doing so, it will be the cheaper route to go, given you're not paying for labor charges. But, if you're not comfortable doing so, I'd look into both options: repair or replace.

Other things to take into consideration are:
    -How long was it overheating for before it blew? Could lead to warped heads/block, which requires further work or replacement
    -How many miles are on it and how well has it been maintained? Have you invested enough TLC into it to make it worth salvaging?
    -How much is a used take out motor from a like vehicle? If you score a decent priced one in decent condition, it may be cost effective overall (factor in R&R labor, of course).

Many decisions to make. Only you, or your mechanic, if you have one, truely know your engine and how well it's been cared for. That little piece of knowledge can be a big deciding factor. Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top