Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear Shocks Recommendation

Old 03-02-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
tr0gd0r is on a distinguished road
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tr0gd0r
Rear Shocks Recommendation

I have a stock truck (no lift) and I need to replace the rear shocks as they are currently leaking oil. What do you recommend for rear shocks and where is the best place to order them?

Thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr0gd0r View Post
I have a stock truck (no lift) and I need to replace the rear shocks as they are currently leaking oil. What do you recommend for rear shocks and where is the best place to order them?

Thanks
you can get some normal heavy duty bilsteins.....or the awesome bilstein 5100's for your truck..............from downsouth motorsports, and they are a vendor here at tw. sonny is an awesome fella.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
according to the bilstein website, the 5100s are only for lifted trucks. is this true?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
according to the bilstein website, the 5100s are only for lifted trucks. is this true?
nah.......they just have a little more travel. the fronts are the only adjustable ones.......rears are normal. you can get the whole set for a good price thru downsouth....................and the front 5100's have a "stock" height setting.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Called Downsouth. Person on the phone said if I put 5100s in the rear I would have to get a bigger bump stop as the shocks will max before my axel hits the stop. VERY BAD for the shock. He recommended the 5125 instead.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Called Downsouth. Person on the phone said if I put 5100s in the rear I would have to get a bigger bump stop as the shocks will max before my axel hits the stop. VERY BAD for the shock. He recommended the 5125 instead.
the 5125 is an excellent choice as well...its what im running
Old 03-02-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone know what the rear travel is on the stock shock so I can find which 5125 to order?
Old 03-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #8
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Who'd you talk to at DownSouth? I just ordered a set of 5100s for my '02, and nothing was said about needing new bumpstops...(I have a stock height 4x4 extended cab). I'd like to get that cleared up before I install them. They are due in tomorrow...
Old 03-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwood6 View Post
Who'd you talk to at DownSouth? I just ordered a set of 5100s for my '02, and nothing was said about needing new bumpstops...(I have a stock height 4x4 extended cab). I'd like to get that cleared up before I install them. They are due in tomorrow...
i put them on my 04 when it was stock.................no problems at all. i think you'd both be fine with the 5100's.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
Not trying to play devil's advocate here, serious question: what advantage is there by putting Bilsteins on over just some good Monroes? Does the truck handle that much better to justify the cost difference?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
Not trying to play devil's advocate here, serious question: what advantage is there by putting Bilsteins on over just some good Monroes? Does the truck handle that much better to justify the cost difference?
in alot of cases....the monroe's will be ok. but i gotta say.......the ride and handling with the 5100's....or even the regular bilsteins for that matter, is awesome compared to others i have had.....even the monroe sensatracs. yeah......it was on a different vehicle, but still.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
I miss Lucy. :-(
HerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shedHerNameIsLucy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Computer Tech
Name: John
HerNameIsLucy's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to HerNameIsLucy Send a message via Yahoo to HerNameIsLucy
What if someone only did the rears with Billies to start, would it upset the handling having good new ones in the back and worn out OEMs on the front?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerNameIsLucy View Post
What if someone only did the rears with Billies to start, would it upset the handling having good new ones in the back and worn out OEMs on the front?
in that case......i think only the rear of the truck would feel alot more solid that the front.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:12 PM   #14
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i did the rears a few years back on mine..the back is definately a stiffer ride. I just ordered a set of front 5100's, and hopefully i can get them in this weekend. But I did the 5125's i believe(there just the regular ones, i forget what ones they are now)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
If you're not lifting then why not just low mileage TRD Bilsteins from the for sale section here? You could score some there cheap, even fully assembled fronts. Varying mileages/prices but still bargain. Sets/prs float through there often.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
glwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedglwood6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaman06 View Post
i put them on my 04 when it was stock.................no problems at all. i think you'd both be fine with the 5100's.
I'm hoping so. They will be here tomorrow, won't get a chance to put them on until later in the week, though; I will email Sonny tomorrow to see what they recommend.

I was going over a thread by markvfr posted last month where he put 5100s on the rear of his 02, and was experiencing them bottoming out, not sure if that was ever cleared up...

I guess if worse comes to worse I can always swap out the 5100 rears for the Bilstein HDs instead...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:48 PM   #17

glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
If you're not lifting then why not just low mileage TRD Bilsteins from the for sale section here? You could score some there cheap, even fully assembled fronts. Varying mileages/prices but still bargain. Sets/prs float through there often.
You might find some 2nd Gen low mileage shocks, but I don't see that happening for 1st Gens...
Old 03-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
tr0gd0r's Tacoma Gallery
I emailed Sonny at downsouth for a recommendation last night but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully he will get back to me soon. Want to get these ordered and installed. Hoping it will make the ride better in my truck.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #19
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
give him a bit...sonny will def take good care of you
Old 03-03-2009, 02:43 PM   #20

glwood6's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I emailed Sonny at downsouth for a recommendation last night but haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully he will get back to me soon. Want to get these ordered and installed. Hoping it will make the ride better in my truck.
I emailed Sonny today also to get his recommendation; meanwhile, my 5100s arrived. I plan to get them installed later this week pending the outcome of the conversation with Sonny. I don't see any issues with the front, I just want to make sure the rears are going to work without a lot of additional modifications.

FYI, I measured the 5100 rear shock fully compressed, and they come to right around 16 3/8"...now I will compare what the OEM Billies measure fully compressed...

I'm not totally against an add-a-leaf in the rear, that's not that big a deal. New tires are in the near future, and going up one size wouldn't hurt my feelings any, as long as the ride is better than now

End goal- best ride, level truck, maybe next larger size tire. If add-a-leaf and 5100's are the best combo for that end, I'll go for it.