1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wet seat belt? Check your seams!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Jetwrench, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jul 29, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    Jetwrench

Jetwrench [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD
    I had a long time issue with water soaking into the drivers side seat belt on my '04 Tacoma. I had read other threads without finding a solution. I have since found and resolved the problem. The sealant in the lap seam at the upper aft corner of the door cutouts where the cab top meets the door frame had a hairline crack running parallel to the edge for about 2 inches. Rain water would seep in and down the inner wall onto the belt spool. I sealed over the seam from the outside using clear RTV. Taping off the imediate area will minimise the appearance. FYI

2. Oct 8, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    speed532

speed532 Member

Member:
    South Daytona FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Extang Platnium Tonneau Cover
    I have the same problem with an '06 access cab. Can you post any pix of the problem area as I haven't spotted any cracks/splits, etc.

3. Oct 9, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    Jetwrench

Jetwrench [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD
    I'll see if I can get a pick to post. I can tell you the sealant crack is very thin and hard to see unless you look very closely. Find the area where the 2 panels meet directly above the belt spool at the upper aft corner of the door cutout and look HARD. Talc or baby powder may help you find it by applying it to the area and watching for a moisture discoloration. If your '06 is built like my '04, it's there.

4. Oct 10, 2013 at 2:48 PM
    speed532

speed532 Member

Member:
    South Daytona FL
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Extang Platnium Tonneau Cover
    Jetwrench, Thnx for the quick reply, but my mistake for not taking into consideration the body style changed in '05. I guess you have an '04 but from reading all the related complaints the problem has been around for awhile with no definitive fix. Nothing simple.....doors shut tight, belt retracted fully, truck stationary in the driveway, etc., etc. Have pulled the inside door panel right after a rain and there is no water anyplace inside the door, around the seals, between the sill and door bottom. It's a mystery but I'm more inclined to start beleiving it's the door window leaking and following the lowest point, right above the seat belt retractor. I guess that'll be the next avenue to explore. I'm going to see if I can attach a couple of pictures and you take a look and see if anything is similiar. Thanks again...............

IMG_7701.jpg
    IMG_7700.jpg
    IMG_7696.jpg

5. Oct 11, 2013 at 7:00 AM
    Jetwrench

Jetwrench [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD
    Speed, thats all together a different design than my '04. Wish I could help. Good luck.

6. Nov 3, 2015 at 12:00 PM
    Yotrucken

Yotrucken New Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 Tacoma that just started leaking two weeks ago. Pic above looks just like the back door of my truck. The truck sat in the driveway over the weekend and when I got in to drive to work the seatbelt was so wet it left a strip across my shirt. I hung it over the console for a few days to dry, only to have it get wet again the following weekend. Again I hung it behind the seat and strapped it around the console for the day and over night to dry. Took it to my local dealer who ran it through their carwash four times with no indication of a leak. It was suggested that I bring it back the next time it happens. The seatbelt is really starting to stink.

If anyone knows where the leak is coming from, please let me know so that I can get it fixed. That or I'll look into replacing it with a new truck from another maker.

7. Jul 5, 2016 at 7:11 PM
    Slizzy

Slizzy Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    '09 MGM TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75" front & 5100 rear, Pro Comp 7089 16x8 4.5"BS, 265/75/16 Duratracs, color matched grille, black emblem
    Same thing just started to my 2009 access cab ... Leaking into the door between the inside panel somewhere...

Leaves me with a wet seatbelt and a wet spot on the seat ... Not stoked .

Going to have to pull the panel and get a buddy to spray it with a hose while I sit inside

Products Discussed in

To Top