Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Gas with Ethanol Vs. Gas without Ethanol

Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
Gas with Ethanol Vs. Gas without Ethanol

This is probably a useless thread but I have been trying to figure this out. I have owned my Tacoma for about 3 years now and have always averaged 15-17 mpg. I have never gotten over 17mpg and usually unless im driving very easy i don't get 17 mpg. But the other day I had just cleaned my air filter and put it back in and i usually fill up at a gas station that has 10% ethanol. But that day I filled up at an older station, they had a sign out front that said no ethanol plus the gas we cheaper so i filled up there. With this tank i averaged 17.99 mpg. The only thing that threw me was that i guess i didn't lock my air box lid down because when I went to change my oil it was open. So after saying all that my question is do you get better gas mileage with ethanol free gas or was it because i had less restriction for my air flow?

Im leaning towards better gas mileage with the ethanol free gas because i filled up at the same station this weekend before we went 4wheeling and my gas mileage was noticeable better hauling the trailer then it usually is.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
I started a thread a while back to discuss ethanol. I personally do not like it and fill up with premium. Basically the premium doesn't have ethanol and equates to better mileage, but the same price per gallon. I hope that made sense.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...e-ethanol.html

Pretty heated discussions on there
Old 03-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Professional High Fiver
Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really niceOh_Six_Taco_4x4 is just really nice

Oh_Six_Taco_4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I like how companies put 10% Ethanol in the gas and then increased the price. Let me get this straight, your giving me an inferior product and charging me more? Oh, okay Here.

Ethanol gets less milage per gallon. (but your saving the world)
Old 03-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Ethanol isn't as powerfull(for lack of a better term) as gas. I think it is only 75% as explosive as gas. So I am inclined to believe that your improvement in mpg is because of the ethanol free gas.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:15 PM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_Six_Taco_4x4 View Post
I like how companies put 10% Ethanol in the gas and then increased the price. Let me get this straight, your giving me an inferior product and charging me more? Oh, okay Here.

Ethanol gets less milage per gallon. (but your saving the world)

Yeah, the cost increase comes from production and shipment.