1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Front Diff Ratio Test Out of truck Help!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacojfro, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Jul 29, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    tacojfro

tacojfro [OP] New Member

Member:
    grassvalley ca
    Hi Im new to the Forum, but I have got great tips and advice for the past few months in all the great threads, I have to say there are some very knowledgable guys out there. Well here is my problem. I have a 99 taco with 4:10 front diff, I know I broke a few teeth on my ring gear. I picked up a used diff out of a 02 taco, not sure of the gearing, all I know is it was a automatic trans, and mine is a 5 speed. I Know you can do the quick test of turning the tires and counting the drive shaft. But when the diff is out of the truck how can you do this test? I put both my old c.v axles in, but cant get them to turn. Does the vaccum/wiring need to be hooked up? I guess my only other option is to spilt the diff and count the teeth? Any help would be great. Jeffro B USMC Ret. If I do have to open up the diff what is the procedure for doing that? What size is the female torx on the axle tube?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  2. Jul 30, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    You could still count the revolutions of the axles vs. the yoke for the drive shaft. Although it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to split it open and check it out to make sure everything is well inside it. While you're in there you can count teeth.

3. Jul 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    ADD will need to be engaged to do any turn counting or the spider gears will just spin around the side gears. Assuming it is the vacuum type actuator, just put vacuum to it or remove it and manually slide the coupling sleeve over. You will not need any electric hook ups, the switch is just for the 4wd indicator.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  4. Jul 30, 2013 at 2:20 PM
    tacojfro

tacojfro [OP] New Member

Member:
    grassvalley ca
    Sounds good I'll try doin that. Thanks for the quick reply.

Products Discussed in

To Top