1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Newbie: Firestone Destination A/T v. Nitto Terra Grappler

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by valaw, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Jul 31, 2013 at 4:44 PM
    valaw

valaw [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Lynchburg
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD Ext. Cab 4X4
    I have an '02 TRD ext. cab (90K). My father-in-law passed away in January and mother-in-law wanted us to have it. The tires are almost worn out and 10 years old. I am replacing with 265/75/16 from stock and am down to the following two choices:

Firestone Destination A/T
    Nitto Terra Grappler

I also looked at Duratracs based on someone's recommendation but they seem almost a mud tire.

I do mostly road driving but we a hunting cabin which requires climbing a jeep trail (think red clay) about 1K feet up with ruts, river rocks and is a couple miles long. Sometimes it is covered in snow.

I know the BFG A/T is popular but I have leaned to the other choices above.

All help appreciated.

2. Jul 31, 2013 at 6:56 PM
    ToyoTaco02

ToyoTaco02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Decatur,IL
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner DC 2.7L
    OME 881 1/4" top plate spacer OME Dakars OME Nitrochargers Light Racing UCA
    Speaking from experience the first thing I did to the truck was put on nitto terra grappler. The tires took almost no weight to balance and I never had them rebalanced in 60k miles of use. I could have put more miles than that on them but I get tired of tires quickly. Final judgement they are a great tire.
    I have also had firestone destination a/t. They aren't bad but in one month I got 2 nails in them and had to have them plugged. Bad luck or not, I got rid of them.
    Goodyear duratracs aren't that bad of a tire. I put 10k miles on a set before I got rid of them. Fairly quiet for an aggressive mud terrain. Took a lot of weights to balance.
    I'm really just a bfg atko loyalist. I love the way they look on the tacoma and I think they are a great tire. I keep thinking there is something else out there that I will like but I keep coming back to them.

Products Discussed in

To Top