Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

herculiner. Good or Bad?

Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
4421.frank is on a distinguished road
4421.frank's Tacoma Gallery
herculiner. Good or Bad?

My uncovered bed is going to shit. All my welding equipment is scrathing the shit out of it and fvcking it all up. I called the linex shop and they said somewhere in the low $500 range for the spray on. A guy at may local said to look into the Herculiner. I guess it's a do it yourself bed liner. Anyone had any luck with this one? Or any problems? $500 is a good deal to spend on the linex, when I could just do it my self for cheaper. right?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
go the herculiner route. herculiner is great stuff man. i lined my bumpers with it.................been that way since september last year............still looks the same. prep the bed right.......it will stick good.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
i did my truck bed for 100 bucks. came out pretty damn good. The only problem I have, is I guess i didnt prep the bedsides that great, and its starting to get thin. No problems otherwise.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
arrintc is on a distinguished road
arrintc's Tacoma Gallery
is this stuff spray on or roll on? did you just tape off the area you didnt want it to get on?
Old 03-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrintc View Post
is this stuff spray on or roll on? did you just tape off the area you didnt want it to get on?
herculiner is roll on........but................if you had a sprayer and bottle to put it in.....it can be sprayed pretty easily. the kits that herculiner has are roll on kits though. and yeah...you tape off what you dont want sprayed.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #6
arrintc is on a distinguished road
arrintc's Tacoma Gallery
ok thanks, i may look at doing this. i am seeing some spots around my drop in bed liner that I don't like.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrintc View Post
ok thanks, i may look at doing this. i am seeing some spots around my drop in bed liner that I don't like.
i got quoted $480 for line-x to line the short bed on my double cab. i am probably gonna go the line-x route with the bed cause im too lazy to roll on the bed liner...............................and i gotta do it pretty soon.............it aint pretty under that pos drop in liner i have,not to mention its killin the paint on the top of my bed.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
6shooter has a spectacular aura about6shooter has a spectacular aura about
6shooter's Tacoma Gallery
just make sure you put enough on. if you spread it to thin, it will separate and crack easily. (made that mistake on my 95 tacoma-didn't have enough left but thought i'd "make it work")
Old 03-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
dont get any on your hootus
Old 03-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I've used Herculiner on many things... My 96 tacoma bed, my 96 tacoma rock sliders, my 92 & 94 jeep wrangler interior.

You buy the kit at Walmart/K-mart or any department stores. It is a roll-on.
You can spray it on - but be forwarned, you need a special sprayer system to do it. Herculiner has bits/pieces of rubber in it. You need to get the proper sprayer that can shoot chunks (so to speak). Do some research and you can probably find what you need.

Personally, by the time you spend the money on a sprayer system and what you need - you might as well pay for the professional Linex.

As for the Herculiner - It's not gonna be nearly as thick as the professional stuff. It can scratch off when you throw heavy equipment on it. However - it's soooo damn easy to do touch-ups without prep work - just paint it on over the bare spots. I had it on my tacoma bed for about 5 years. The stuff underneath the tonneau cover stayed black, but the stuff exposed to the sun (over the rails) faded a bit and starts to wear off. So - after about 4 years, I bought another quart can of the stuff and repainted over my rails and did touch-ups on the bed part. It's great rust prevention....and cheap. Can't beat it!!

Installation can be a messy mother. The kit comes with the roller/s. But I can't remember what else. My husband and I ended up buying disposable brushes, disposable thick plastic cups, disposable everything basically (don't use foam or thin plastic cups, it'll melt 'em). Wear disposable clothing & shoes / long sleeve shirts. That shit doesn't come off anything!!! If you get it on your skin and it dries - DON'T SCRUB IT OFF. You'll create one hell of a rash on your skin.
I'd also highly recommend finding a orbital sander to prep the paint areas - goes much quicker than using the scotch brite pad they supply with the kit (you'll still need to use that for spots the sander can't get to)