1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

herculiner. Good or Bad?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 4421.frank, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    4421.frank

4421.frank [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southside chicago
    Vehicle:
    02 double cab prerunner supercharged
    nasty dent on driver's side bed panel, shabby seats, cigarette burned interior roof, missing berf bar pad, cracked rain visor, removed hood scoop, unmentionable stain on back bench?
    My uncovered bed is going to shit. All my welding equipment is scrathing the shit out of it and fvcking it all up. I called the linex shop and they said somewhere in the low $500 range for the spray on. A guy at may local said to look into the Herculiner. I guess it's a do it yourself bed liner. Anyone had any luck with this one? Or any problems? $500 is a good deal to spend on the linex, when I could just do it my self for cheaper. right?

2. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    tacomaman06

tacomaman06 Carolina Alliance: Enforcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    go the herculiner route. herculiner is great stuff man. i lined my bumpers with it.................been that way since september last year............still looks the same. prep the bed right.......it will stick good.

3. Mar 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    wildjerseyfirefighter

wildjerseyfirefighter I sell fishing and fishing accessories

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma TRD Sport
    stock, for now
    i did my truck bed for 100 bucks. came out pretty damn good. The only problem I have, is I guess i didnt prep the bedsides that great, and its starting to get thin. No problems otherwise.

4. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    arrintc

arrintc Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner
    is this stuff spray on or roll on? did you just tape off the area you didnt want it to get on?

5. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    herculiner is roll on........but................if you had a sprayer and bottle to put it in.....it can be sprayed pretty easily. the kits that herculiner has are roll on kits though. and yeah...you tape off what you dont want sprayed.

6. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    arrintc

arrintc Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner
    ok thanks, i may look at doing this. i am seeing some spots around my drop in bed liner that I don't like.

7. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    tacomaman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    York,South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tundra TRD Pro
    getting there....
    i got quoted $480 for line-x to line the short bed on my double cab. i am probably gonna go the line-x route with the bed cause im too lazy to roll on the bed liner...............................and i gotta do it pretty soon.............it aint pretty under that pos drop in liner i have,not to mention its killin the paint on the top of my bed.:mad:

8. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    6shooter

6shooter Well-Known Member

Member:
    portland, or
    Vehicle:
    06 sport........
    plenty.......
    just make sure you put enough on. if you spread it to thin, it will separate and crack easily. (made that mistake on my 95 tacoma-didn't have enough left but thought i'd "make it work")

9. Mar 2, 2009 at 8:38 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    dont get any on your hootus

10. Mar 2, 2009 at 9:26 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I've used Herculiner on many things... My 96 tacoma bed, my 96 tacoma rock sliders, my 92 & 94 jeep wrangler interior.

You buy the kit at Walmart/K-mart or any department stores. It is a roll-on.
    You can spray it on - but be forwarned, you need a special sprayer system to do it. Herculiner has bits/pieces of rubber in it. You need to get the proper sprayer that can shoot chunks (so to speak). Do some research and you can probably find what you need.

Personally, by the time you spend the money on a sprayer system and what you need - you might as well pay for the professional Linex.

As for the Herculiner - It's not gonna be nearly as thick as the professional stuff. It can scratch off when you throw heavy equipment on it. However - it's soooo damn easy to do touch-ups without prep work - just paint it on over the bare spots. I had it on my tacoma bed for about 5 years. The stuff underneath the tonneau cover stayed black, but the stuff exposed to the sun (over the rails) faded a bit and starts to wear off. So - after about 4 years, I bought another quart can of the stuff and repainted over my rails and did touch-ups on the bed part. It's great rust prevention....and cheap. Can't beat it!!

Installation can be a messy mother. The kit comes with the roller/s. But I can't remember what else. My husband and I ended up buying disposable brushes, disposable thick plastic cups, disposable everything basically (don't use foam or thin plastic cups, it'll melt 'em). Wear disposable clothing & shoes / long sleeve shirts. That shit doesn't come off anything!!! If you get it on your skin and it dries - DON'T SCRUB IT OFF. You'll create one hell of a rash on your skin.
    I'd also highly recommend finding a orbital sander to prep the paint areas - goes much quicker than using the scotch brite pad they supply with the kit (you'll still need to use that for spots the sander can't get to)

Products Discussed in

To Top