1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

can't pass emissions "readiness problem"

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by neugie, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Aug 3, 2013 at 3:31 PM
    neugie

neugie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MARK
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    BASIC TRUCK
    BED COVER
    country boy moves to city, country boy has belovid 1999 tested and failed for "readiness". the experts say drive the truck, which i've been doing without a tag. i take it back in and same results. I saw online that an aftermarket CD player could interfer with reading, so i disconnected it and lost all info i built up. I hooked it back up because expert #17 says CD's have memory and some info is stored there. I now have 155 highway miles on a newly reset system and my baby failed again. I need someones help please. signed: at wits end !

2. Aug 3, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Any time your battery is disconnected from the ECU, the emissions codes are reinitialized. You can not pass an emissions test until after all buffers have been cleared over something like 20 start/restart cycles.

If you have an electrical problem causing power to be interrupted to the ECU, you will never pass emissions.

The CD/Radio contains no information used by the ECU.

3. Aug 3, 2013 at 3:47 PM
    neugie

neugie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MARK
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    BASIC TRUCK
    BED COVER
    the radio thing sounded like BS to me, thanks for verifing that. so now i'm hearing 20 start ups and not "drive it". that could be it, because I drive my '08 more since the tag prob with the '99. Do you think that fact that my CD is wired straight to the battery is of no conscequence?

4. Aug 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    neugie

neugie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MARK
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    BASIC TRUCK
    BED COVER
    the radio thing sounded like BS to me, thanks for verifing that. so now i'm hearing 20 start ups and not "drive it". that could be it, because I drive my '08 more since the tag prob with the '99. Do you think that fact that my CD is wired straight to the battery is of no conscequence?

5. Aug 3, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    There used to be some additive you can add to the fuel tank and after a couple of hours of driving it was "said" to let you pass the test. Don't know if this is a scam or legit.

6. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:06 PM
    neugie

neugie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MARK
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    BASIC TRUCK
    BED COVER
    all i've been hearing, until now, is "drive it somemore" and it hasn't been working. I like your 20 start ups, because I havne't got near that many. since i don't have a tag on the '99, i've been running my '08. thanks Rich, this emission scam has been very frustrating.

7. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    WThomas1250

WThomas1250 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yeah but I don't believe that would help with an electrical problem

8. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    neugie

neugie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MARK
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    BASIC TRUCK
    BED COVER
    beat one scam with another. i knew all this was crap when the emisson dude said the computer didn't have enuf info and i ask why don't he just put that thing on my exhoust pipe and we'll just see. This is, after all, an emision test, not a computer test, right??? Texas seems to be the only practical minded entity that allows commoon since thinking and allows the techs to do that, which means I"m SOL here in Georgia. thanks coffee guy

9. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Do you drive on highway at all? I've seen many vehicles fail the readiness tests because the owner doesn't drive on the highway. Some of the readiness tests are only run when you drive at highway speeds for a certain amount of time at operating temp. Don't know the time exactly but I know that it usually corrects the problem. Just a thought since no one else suggested it.

BTW I'm a certified fleet emissions inspector.

10. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    It is a computer test.

They sniff the pipe, but they also scan the computer for stored codes.
    You CAN have stored codes without getting a check-engine-light, but there must be no stored codes in order for the vehicle to pass.
    If there are no stored codes, BUT the memory buffers are not full, then the vehicle will not pass.

Coffeesnob is talking about a product called "Guaranteed to Pass", and WThomas is correct, it will not help if your ECU's buffers are not full.

11. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    neugie

neugie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MARK
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    BASIC TRUCK
    BED COVER
    everyone of the 6 or so guys that have failed me, told me what you said, until this morning. This guys said city miles and Rich just brought in the newest equation of 20 start ups, which I'm sooo hoping he's right, because I've burned a good bit of gas and time trying to guess the amounts of city vs. highway miles.

12. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    Don't forget that the 20 startups are best if done from a cold start. Good luck!!

13. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    The 20 startups is a ballpark.
    Some buffers reload after 1 or 2, others longer.

14. Aug 3, 2013 at 4:43 PM
    neugie

neugie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    MARK
    GEORGIA
    Vehicle:
    BASIC TRUCK
    BED COVER
    I'm about to do a cold start up and grab a beer to drink in yalls honor. have a great evening guys and if anything else pops in your brillient minds, please pass it on. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top