Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

High pitched whine coming from left side of instrument panel

Old 03-03-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
stonecutter908 has a spectacular aura aboutstonecutter908 has a spectacular aura about

stonecutter908's Tacoma Gallery
High pitched whine coming from left side of instrument panel

My 95 has a high pitched whine coming from behind the left side of the instrument panel. It is definitely tied to the speedometer and cold weather. It happens everytime on cold starts and lasts for a good 20 minutes before it dies off. It is the loudest, most annoying sound you have ever heard. It gets louder the faster you go, and doesn't exist when stopped. Again, it is clearly tied to the speedometer. Speedometer also shakes like crazy while the whining is going on.

Is this just a cold weather thing that I am going to have to live with? Or does anyone have a possible fix to recommend?

It is driving me nuts at 6am on my way into work.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you need a new cable, although I am not a hundred percent sure if it is electronic or not on that year. I would suggest tracing it back to the tranny and disconnecting it (if it is not electronic). If it doesn't whine or vibrate then it is the cable.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
A 1995.5 Tacoma would definitely have a cable-driven speedometer.

I agree that the symptoms sound like a cable problem.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
stonecutter908 has a spectacular aura aboutstonecutter908 has a spectacular aura about

I am having trouble locating the part online. Anyone have an oem part number or good site to query?

Did some reading on the replacement procedure. Sounds like it will kill an afternoon and a six pack. Fun.

First, I am going to grease it and then chase the replacement if still needed.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I am leaving work right now. I will check when I get home and see what I can find.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
does it sound anything like this? http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...im-pissed.html
Old 03-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #7
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Are you driveing with your Wife???
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #8
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsocoee View Post
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha! you're such a smart ass
Old 03-03-2009, 01:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Very similiar but much more annoying.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
funboy is on a distinguished road
funboy's Tacoma Gallery
I had a ultra-high pitched whining behind the driver side dash on my 02 a while back. It sounded like the most spoiled child on earth not getting what he wants. Anyways, my signal lights began to malfunction soon after along with a strange clicking under my shifter. The mechanic found a junction box rigged up for trailer lights under the truck and it was all rusted. Long story short, in my case it was electrical. Hope it helps, at first the whole thing really scared me.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:37 PM   #12

Update: with the change in weather here in PA, 72F yesterday. This issue has disappeared again. With spring arriving shortly, I am not going to take any action until it happens in weather above 30F.