Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

My Take on a Trail Gear Bumper

Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
My Take on a Trail Gear Bumper

I had always dreamed of a plate bumper. I really wanted an Elite, but I could not afford it. I then looked at the All Pro APEX bumper, but still couldn't afford it. I then decided to go with a Trail Gear Low-Profile bumper with the light hoop. After looking at other people's trucks with the bumper, I decided to put some diamond plate on the top to fill it in. The rest is history!

Here is the bumper when I brought it home!

First thing on the agenda was to get the light bar welded on.

Next, came the top plates. I don't have a picture of my mock up cardboard, but here's this.

Driver side:

Passanger side:

Now was about the time when i started getting ideas. I didn't like being able to see the washer fluid container and didn't want to modify it. More plate!!! But first, mock-ups!

After doing all that to both sides, i had tons of plate left. I decided to fill in the smaller triangles on the front. I forgot to take close-up photos of those at the time. They can be seen in the finished product photos. Here, we are welding in the plate permanently.

Now the bumper is all finished! Some before powder coat glamour shots...

Off to the powder coater! I decided to take my wheels at the same time since the paint I put on them last year had started to flake off and they looked really bad.

Everything is finished! I went with a light textured black for the bumper and a non-textured satin black for the wheels. Great combo in my opinion.

Got everything mounted back up! I love how it all turned out! And yes, I know the skid plate isn't there. I have to find some new bolts to mount it up with.

Got a little dirty!

And just because i can.......

I also did the "fog light mod"...sort of. I moved my turn signals to the corner lights and secured them with plastic weld and epoxy. Pics to come later. I also trimmed the plastic inside the wheel wells that extended too far. Thanks for looking!

EDIT:
Here are some pictures showing my turn signal switchbacks. This is the guide I used to do it. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ation-mod.html

Just got my LED fog lights installed. Wired them to a Toyota fog light switch in place of a blank. They are so bright!

They are just as bright as the reflection of the sun off the hood!

UPDATE:
I got my Warn XD9000i installed! Did quite a bit of trimming in order to get it to fit.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #2
Mas Tequila!!!
JuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Juan
JuansTaco's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man im in the process of building mine at the moment.. one thing im not a huge fan of is the diamond plated metal but thats all personal preferance. looks good man
Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
looks good! Im not a diamond plate fan but it looks great

I wanna see your corner blinker switchback reroute because thats what ill be doing here in a few
Old 08-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Mas Tequila!!!
JuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJuansTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Juan
JuansTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post

I wanna see your corner blinker switchback reroute because thats what ill be doing here in a few
ya me too on the corner swap.. i was thinking about using led turn signals somehow mounted to bumper
Old 08-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #6
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuansTaco View Post
ya me too on the corner swap.. i was thinking about using led turn signals somehow mounted to bumper
I added some photos to the OP. The bulbs were a little long for where I put them. I had to trim the inside of the lens on the ridge where the yellow insert is in the side of the corner light. It fits perfectly now. You can probably avoid this issue by putting the socket in at a different angle. Only problem is that once you cut the hole, you're pretty much stuck with it. That is why I had to trim a little. On the bright side, it is not noticeable and still looks good.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
wolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud ofwolfgang123 has much to be proud of

Name: Skyler
wolfgang123's Tacoma Gallery
more pics of the front end?
Old 08-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
Fester is on a distinguished road
Name: Roy
Fester's Tacoma Gallery
Looks bad ass.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Countinuous improvement
TejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shedTejasYOTA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nathan
TejasYOTA's Tacoma Gallery
Love Trail Gear, nice job on the top plating.
Not much of a fan of the lower winged plating...looks bulky.
That's just me... As long as you love it, it is all that matters.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting idea OP! I'll have to think about this when I get my TG bumper - in the same boat as you - I'd love an elite but just can't afford it. The cost of a TG is a lot more feasible
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Interesting idea OP! I'll have to think about this when I get my TG bumper - in the same boat as you - I'd love an elite but just can't afford it. The cost of a TG is a lot more feasible
That was my exact mindset.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
MadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadMtnMikey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
MadMtnMikey's Tacoma Gallery

Looking good
Old 08-11-2013, 01:45 AM   #18
Warputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarputer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet - 1st Inf. Div.
Name: Chris
Warputer's Tacoma Gallery
Bumper looks sweet!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
bonafide
sk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shedsk8rjess is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
sk8rjess's Tacoma Gallery
nice man! idk how i feel about that side plating though, but +1 for being different!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warputer View Post
Bumper looks sweet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rjess View Post
nice man! idk how i feel about that side plating though, but +1 for being different!
Thanks!