1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 speed oil change - water in tranny

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Adventurer_Alex, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2013 at 2:05 AM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex [OP] Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    I installed a URD short shifter in my 98 5 lug (2wd) 2.4l tacoma yesterday, today one of my friends an i pulled the shift lever out to replace a bushing. The brand new extension was covered in rust! :eek: So there almost certainly was water in the transmission. Went to walmart picked a gallon of SuperTech 80W-90 GL-5 gear oil.

Changing the oil went smoothly, drained it, poured that into a bottle and filled the transmission back up just like the directions in my Haynes manual. The shocker is what came out of my transmission, it looked like chocolate milk! Luckily no metal shavings or anything like that and i haven't noticed any problems shifting or any odd noises.

I am planning on changing the oil in my rear diff tomorrow because it is almost certainly in as bad of shape as my tranny oil was. I'm posting this to see if there is anything else i should do to prevent water from getting in there again. Its not leaking fluid at all anywhere so do i just need to relocate the breathers (diff too) or can i do anything at all?

I'm going to change the oil in my tranny again in a couple hundred miles just to make sure i don't have any larger problems starting. sorry about the essay here i did search, i just didn't find what i was looking for.

IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg

2. Aug 7, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Sounds like the trans was under water so checking the diffs is a good idea as well . Relocate your vents after replacing the fluids and then check them again in 1 year .
    Go with quality lubricants and you shouldnt have any problems

3. Aug 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM
    Adventurer_Alex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    Any recommendations on what gear oil i should use for the tranny when i change it again and for the diff when i get to it today? The manual sad either GL-4 or GL-5 and i did some research into it but i got more confused about it than anything.

4. Aug 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    If you are going to dump the fluid again , why not use a cheap fluid for a short period of time making sure the fluid has a high demulsifier content ( water removal / water prevention )
    This would give you the rinse cycle you need to try and combat the rust issue .
    If the rust is gone on your next inspection , consider a premium fluid or at least an additive for your oil . I have rebuilt many Tacoma 5 speeds and the original Toyo Koyo bearings are very poor quality .
    Lubeguard is great stuff . http://www.lubegard.com/C-197/LUBEGARD+Gear+Fluid+Supplement

5. Aug 8, 2013 at 1:05 AM
    Adventurer_Alex

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    Luckily it seems that the oil prevented the transmission itself from rusting, just the part of the short shifter that wasn't oiled got some surface rust, everything eles was coated and i did not get any rust particles or metal shavings at all in the gear oil when i drained it. Thanks for the lube guard suggestion. Now i have to figure out how/where to relocate the tranny vent

Products Discussed in

To Top