1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeak

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tacoreeyah, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Mar 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM
    Tacoreeyah

Tacoreeyah [OP] Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 XtraCab Auto
    Hello all.

So I have a 2003 SR5 V6 Xtra Cab, Automatic, no power locks or windows. This annoying squeak has developed from the occasional chirp to near-constant squeaking and I will not stand for it anymore. It sounds like its coming from the seam where the passenger side of the dash meets the A-pillar and I think it is emanating from an interior part and not a part of the chassis or something. It happens most frequently on slightly bumpy roads at lower (i.e. non-highway) speeds. I've pressed my hand on the passenger side airbag when it was happening and that made it stop but as soon as I released it started again. Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone have any guesses as to what it could be or how I could diagnose it further?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Mar 3, 2009 at 7:57 PM
    climber-420

climber-420 I love tight cracks

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2004 Gold Ext Cab TRD 3.4L V6 Manual
    255/85/16 BFG KM2's, 3" OME lift, Dakar's, Nitrochargers, Grey Wire Mod, ARB Bumper, ARB CKMA12 air compressor, WIts End Pacifier, Warn M8000, Uniden 520 XL CB, rear diff breather mod, full time power to aux 12V outlets, Rago Fab ditch brackets, Titan Rod Vault, Extreme LED's front and rear,
    I've got an 03' as well and I have recently noticed the same problem. I know I'm not really helping out this situation, but hopefully someone else will chime in with some info.

3. Mar 3, 2009 at 7:59 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    this seems to be a regular problem on the 01-04 tacomas...mine rattles...worse lately...i put a hat on my dash and shoved it up next to the windshield...and that seemed to fix mine for now

if im not mistaken...toyota had a tsb or recall or something about it but i dont know that it totally fixes the problem

4. Mar 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM
    Tacoreeyah

Tacoreeyah [OP] Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 XtraCab Auto
    Could Someone point me to a site where I can search all TSBs for 1st Gen Tacomas please?

Also, what are Toyota's policies toward TSBs and related repairs/fixes. Is it possible to recover any associated costs if an owner elects to remedy a nuisance that has had a TSB issued? Negotiable? Dealer-by-dealer basis? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks again!

5. Mar 8, 2009 at 1:51 PM
    MCRANEY

MCRANEY WARTHOG

Member:
    CRESTVIEW FL
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma 4WD SR5 TRD
    3" Lift 285/75 16R Tires Aries Stainless Steel Grille Guard, KC Lights
    i was in the same situation as you, couldnt stand it anymore. mine wasnt a chirping sound but came from the same area. try this, cut out a 1x1 inch piece of cardboard and wrap it with electrical tape till its about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick (thats your wedge). when you are sitting in the passenger seat. where the windshield and dash meet about 10 to 12 inches from the right corner. take your new wedge and place it in between the dash and the windshield. make sure it fits tight. i did this about 2 years ago and to this day i have not heard that annoying rattle anymore. hope this works for you

6. Mar 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM
    Tacoreeyah

Tacoreeyah [OP] Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 XtraCab Auto
    Nice, thanks, I'll try that out.

7. Apr 4, 2009 at 8:44 PM
    Toyota Man

Toyota Man Toyota Man

Member:
    Oregon, Centeral Willamette Valley
    Vehicle:
    11' DCSB TRD super charged off road
    TRD super charger, TRD cold air intake, and exhaust. Downey coil overs coming soon
    I have an 08 Dbl cab and I have had the same rattle at slow speeds coming from the facia that covers the passanger side air bag. When I put my hand on the side of the cover closest to me it stops. I took it to Lassen Toyota in Oregon and they kept my truck for about 6 hours, when I went to pick it up they said that it was not uncommen and the cure was to place spacers behind the facia cover. The problem seemed to go away for about 2-3 months but has come back though it is much less noticable. Hope it helps just thought I would pass on the info.

Products Discussed in

To Top