1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Radio intermittently loses power?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by wolfgang123, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    wolfgang123

wolfgang123 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    Okay so a couple months ago my radio started losing power when i would go over any kind of bump, go over a few more bumps and it would come back on. I wasn't sure whether or not it was a bad head unit or bad wiring, since its intermittent i know it isn't a fuse.

I did not like my cheap aftermarket head unit so i picked up a new Kenwood double din from a member here. So i soldered up the connector coming out of the back of the Kenwood going from the Kenwood connection to the 2 OEM Toyota connectors in the truck. I made sure there were no exposed wires here, double checked everything.

So this tells me the problem is somewhere behind the Toyota OEM connectors/harness, i can only assume its either a bad ground or an exposed wire somewhere. Problem is i have no idea where to start? The last thing i want to do is start cutting up the factory wire loom to start tracing the power/ground wires looking for breaks. I have considered wiring up a jumper cable with an inline fuse going directly to the battery as a way to try to figure out if there is a problem with the OEM power/ground wires.

ANY advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated i haven't had a radio for about 5 months now :mad:

2. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:46 AM
    berg2065

berg2065 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    11 reg cab 4x4
    5100's set at .85,eibachs, LR uca's, toytec 1.5" aal, ride rite bags, receiver hitch, ARE cap with bedrug, Thule rack, wet-okole cover, ultragauge, kenwood dnx5180 navi/receiver, ss rubi404 running factory doors and JL8
    Did you have this issue with the previous head unit? or just since you installed the Kenwood? If it started after you put in the Kenwood, I would suspect the headunit and/or it's wiring harness. Double check that you have the kenwood harness plugged in securely into the back of the unit. The jumper wire you mention is also a good idea for isolating the issue.

3. Aug 10, 2013 at 8:12 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    yes same issue with previous head unit... all connections are tight and secure double and triple checked.

4. Aug 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    wolfgang123

Member:
    First Name:
    Skyler
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    okay so i found the problem. Turns out one of the blades inside of the electrical connector had a small amount of corrosion on it. I couldn't even see it but i figured i would dip all the connectors in Coke (to get rid of the corrosion) just in case, no problems since.

Products Discussed in

To Top