LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Jack is way to small for my taco

Old 08-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
dvschramm is on a distinguished road
dvschramm's Tacoma Gallery
Jack is way to small for my taco

I have a 2004 Taco Limited SR5 4x4 and the supplied jack is in no way big enough.

I have this model:

http://www.villagetoyotaparts.com/pr...911304020.html

I got my truck second hand and I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm not sure if it's been jacked up or not (it definitely has nice clearance). I should really have a jack to change my tire or get me out of bad situations. Suggestions on a new one, or should I just head to the auto parts store?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Eat right, be fit, die anyway
zacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzacharypaul89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
zacharypaul89's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvschramm View Post
I have a 2004 Taco Limited SR5 4x4 and the supplied jack is in no way big enough.

I have this model:

I got my truck second hand and I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm not sure if it's been jacked up or not (it definitely has nice clearance). I should really have a jack to change my tire or get me out of bad situations. Suggestions on a new one, or should I just head to the auto parts store?
After lifting mine 3'', the OEM jack didn't work. Just put a few bricks under the jack and it should work just fine.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Mine in my 03 4x4 and it lifts just fine. There is a certain spot that the jack goes in the front, under the A arm i think. Not sure in the rear i will have to look, dont remember right off hand.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Molon Labe
WThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the roughWThomas1250 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Will
WThomas1250's Tacoma Gallery
My OEM jack sucks as well. My suspension is stock (although I do have the TRD package) the supplied jack barely lifts my tires up high enough.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvschramm View Post

I have this model:

Check the owner's manual for jack points. Should be the transfer case crossmember in the front and the rear axle housing for the back.

If it has been lifted, you may not be able to jack the front up with the bottle jack unless you use a block of wood, brick or something very solid as a base underneath the jack.

You should still be able to get the rear off the ground unless you are running some very, very oversized tires.

You're other option is to get a hi-lift but unless you put on some sliders or off-road bumpers, you have no lift point to use the hi-lift on.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Check the owner's manual for jack points. Should be the transfer case crossmember in the front and the rear axle housing for the back.

If it has been lifted, you may not be able to jack the front up with the bottle jack unless you use a block of wood, brick or something very solid as a base underneath the jack.

You should still be able to get the rear off the ground unless you are running some very, very oversized tires.

You're other option is to get a hi-lift but unless you put on some sliders or off-road bumpers, you have no lift point to use the hi-lift on.

Ok, I think this is the issue. I'm looking in the 'normal' spots for jack points (infront of back tires, behind front). I'll check the manual. Thanks.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 AM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomataco2 View Post
Whose jack???
I keep a block of 6inch wood or something in an ammo can in my bed to put under the jack.
I don't know jack!

Yeah, I'm getting a beach driving pass this week and they require a piece of wood as a jack base. I'm going to have to do the same.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #9
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post

You could also get the lift mate to go with a hi lift jack, which allows the hi lift to lift the vehicle by the wheel. Then you just need jack stands to hold it up.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
Bahamayellow is on a distinguished road
Bahamayellow's Tacoma Gallery
I have an 2002 tacoma 4x4 with the stock height that i bought brand new. First thing I did was toss out the stock bottle jack. I carry a 40 dollar 2 ton standard jack with a pump up handle in my tool box.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #11
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
In the front, you can put the jack under the lower control arm. In the rear, put the jack under the axle tube. These two jacking points are not sensitive to any installed lift. A few cranks is enough to get the tire off the ground. I still use the stock jack, but pack an 18" breaker bar and socket, since the stock lug handle isn't long enough to loosen the lugnuts.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Sloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shedSloth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Either use the stock jack with a block of wood, old brake rotor, etc.. or this:

+ lift mate:

=

Old 08-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
How does the lift mate work for changing a punctured tire?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #15

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
How does the lift mate work for changing a punctured tire?

Lift truck, put jack stand under truck, remove jack, change tire, re-set jack, remove jack stand, lower vehicle, proceed with lulz
Old 08-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #16
Toyota Tech..when im not Fishing
blakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblakes09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
blakes09's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Lord of War

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Lift truck, put jack stand under truck, remove jack, change tire, re-set jack, remove jack stand, lower vehicle, proceed with lulz
You carry an axle stand in the truck for changing a flat?
Old 08-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
If your truck hasn't been lifted, the stock jack, with some well-chosen profanity, should work. I always carry a short piece of 4x4 and 2x4 in the truck, so I have either 2, 4, or 6 inches of extra reach. Enough to change a tire.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #19

Sloth's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
You carry an axle stand in the truck for changing a flat?
I always have two jack stands in my truck. And an old rotor to use as a larger foot for the jack stand. And ya, I put it on jack stands whether I'm using the stock jack or hi lift, even just changing a tire. Takes an extra whole 3 seconds, and it gives me price of mind
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
I always have two jack stands in my truck. And an old rotor to use as a larger foot for the jack stand. And ya, I put it on jack stands whether I'm using the stock jack or hi lift, even just changing a tire. Takes an extra whole 3 seconds, and it gives me price of mind
If you have the cargo space, no reason not to.