1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

p0446 coming on at cold start

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mrman, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Aug 13, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    mrman

mrman [OP] Member

Member:
    I have been trying to diagnose my p0446 code.

After resetting my check engine light with the car warm it did not come on right away.

However if I start up the car from cold it puts the code in as pending right away( check engine light doesn't come on instantly but I can see with scanner).

I have checked the 2 vsv valves under the hood and they seemed to be functioning fine.

any help here is appreciated I also have p0036 but I do not believe this is related at all and I will be ordering the 02 sensor for after the cat for this.
    Including the information just in case.

2. Aug 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    Inverno4

Inverno4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    2020 DC Off-Road MT
    Check the vsv by the charcoal canister. It get pretty rusty and dirty up there, causes it to fail. To get it off, take the spare tire down first.

3. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    ROCKIN RICHIE

ROCKIN RICHIE Well-Known Member

Member:
    BEAN TOWN
    Vehicle:
    02'TACO
    I had this code a year ago. I've got the 3.4, look under hood to VSVs behind fuse box on driver's side. Lube up those rusty clamps with some silicone and after a day or so slide back clamps. Remove hoses at both ends and spray a good long lasting lube like ZEP 45 NC or something similar with Teflon up inside these valves as they dry out under the hood (forget WD 40 as it will just evaporate). If you don't have a code reader be sure to leave battery un-hooked for at least 15 mins to erase code. This solved my issue and be sure to not over-fill your gas tank as this leads to contamination of canister. I was told by a Toyota mechanic that charcoal canister actual failures on Tacomas are EXTREMELY RARE because of their location... unlike Corollas and Camrys?. Good Luck!

4. Aug 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Check all the hoses into the canister for leaks or splits.

Products Discussed in

To Top