Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Is it worth modding my tacoma?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #21
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota559 View Post
Hmmm a lot of good advice. Can I just toss a 97 Tacoma ECU in for my current one? Or is this harder than it sounds?

Big question for all of you guys then. If I do an engine swap for my 5VZ what is a good engine to swap in? I would like to keep it Toyota but I'm open to all suggestions. Will a later model Tacoma engine swap in easily?

By easy I mean using the factory mounts and being able to keep my current transmission setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
its not the ecu everyone is worried about, its the engine itself. if you want to put ANY type of actual, meaningful performance mods in it then i would do a complete overhaul of the engine with new parts (top and bottom) that are made to handle high boost, and replace every seal and gasket. All depends on how much you want to spend. If you are actually serious about engine performance than you would be doing all that work ANYWAY, so it might be a good excuse.

now also ask why do you want performance mods so bad on a pick up truck? if you want to go fast and handle like a boss, get a car. i think you should think about what direction you actually want to go with it before you drop 5 grand in any one direction.

also I would not even go near an engine swap. if you have to ask this kind of question i don't think you have the mechanical and electrical know how to tackle a job like that on your own. its a lot of work and I dont think it is worth it at all. if it comes to that buy a newer truck
I agree with a lot of this but not with some.

Don't bother swapping the engine. It's never easy period. You'll need a ton of tools and lots of space and a lot of time and knowledge. No motor drops in other then e 5vzfe or 3rz which you won't want. Everything else will be custom mounts. Tranny adapters and crossmembers and wiring.

As for supercharging. Yes you can just swap the ecu to a 97. In fact I don't see an issue with supercharging it even with 270k. I got a buddy that has 230k or more on his sc taco. That said. I'd ONLY do it if your motor was in good shape still. So do a good run through on maintenance. But if it's been taken care if. Shouldn't be a problem with stock TRD charger boost. But you won't be able to add the URD stuff to really up the boost.

But I agree with mark. If you want to go fast and take corners fast..you have the WRONG vehicle. Get a car if you want to play race car..duh. It's a truck. Even supercharged..it's not gonna be that fast.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #22
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Theres not too many low mileage 1st gens out there I'm thinking (under 100k) I'm right at 200k , still runs pretty strong, but yeah SC wouldn't be good for that many miles without total rebuild, not sure I'd even bother with it , keep your reliability plus theres a ton of functional MODS not engine related you can do...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #23
yota559 is on a distinguished road
Army:
yota559's Tacoma Gallery
I want a Baja capable truck, long travel suspension capable of cruising the desert at 80-90mph without taxing the engine.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota559 View Post
I want a Baja capable truck, long travel suspension capable of cruising the desert at 80-90mph without taxing the engine.

Well I do know that SC's don't like heat & I don't know anyone who frequents the desert that routinely cruises arouind at 80-90mph, i mean theres a few spots where guys will let it rip ... for a short ways but still not going that fast, if your truck is properly set up suspension-wise you can hit the harder stuff at speed for a prolonged time but your still not going to see 80 or 90 for any sustained amount of time, but you WILL be able to mob it out fast with engine reliability in check, just my $.02...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
yota559 is on a distinguished road
Army:
yota559's Tacoma Gallery
What about this Turbo kit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Kit-in...item20d62d9ec9