1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is it worth modding my tacoma?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by yota559, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Aug 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    I agree with a lot of this but not with some.

Don't bother swapping the engine. It's never easy period. You'll need a ton of tools and lots of space and a lot of time and knowledge. No motor drops in other then e 5vzfe or 3rz which you won't want. Everything else will be custom mounts. Tranny adapters and crossmembers and wiring.

As for supercharging. Yes you can just swap the ecu to a 97. In fact I don't see an issue with supercharging it even with 270k. I got a buddy that has 230k or more on his sc taco. That said. I'd ONLY do it if your motor was in good shape still. So do a good run through on maintenance. But if it's been taken care if. Shouldn't be a problem with stock TRD charger boost. But you won't be able to add the URD stuff to really up the boost.

But I agree with mark. If you want to go fast and take corners fast..you have the WRONG vehicle. Get a car if you want to play race car..duh. It's a truck. Even supercharged..it's not gonna be that fast.

2. Aug 23, 2013 at 10:45 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Theres not too many low mileage 1st gens out there I'm thinking (under 100k) I'm right at 200k , still runs pretty strong, but yeah SC wouldn't be good for that many miles without total rebuild, not sure I'd even bother with it , keep your reliability plus theres a ton of functional MODS not engine related you can do...:)

3. Aug 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM
    yota559

yota559 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5 3.4L
    K&N Drop in filter
    I want a Baja capable truck, long travel suspension capable of cruising the desert at 80-90mph without taxing the engine.

4. Aug 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Well I do know that SC's don't like heat & I don't know anyone who frequents the desert that routinely cruises arouind at 80-90mph, i mean theres a few spots where guys will let it rip ... for a short ways but still not going that fast, if your truck is properly set up suspension-wise you can hit the harder stuff at speed for a prolonged time but your still not going to see 80 or 90 for any sustained amount of time, but you WILL be able to mob it out fast with engine reliability in check, just my $.02...

5. Aug 26, 2013 at 10:15 AM
    yota559

yota559 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    95 Tacoma SR5 3.4L
    K&N Drop in filter
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top