1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leaking coolant from upper radiator hose

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mars, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Aug 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM
    mars

mars [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner
    Flowmaster Super 50 Delta Flow, K&N 57-9016-1 FIPK Cold Air Intake
    So, as the title hints at, I've got a leak from where the upper radiator hose connects. I've tried replacing the hose, I've tried using different clamps, and I've tried using block seal, no dice.

I was doing research and heard there might be a nick on the plastic ring on the radiator where the hose connects at. I haven't inspected that part, and was going to wait until I got another (3rd!) hose to replace.

Anyone have experience with this issue?

2. Aug 15, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
    Maybe it's the different atmospheric pressure from mars? Tacomas were designed for earth.

Sounds like there's a crack in the plastic somewhere. If you've replaced the hose and changed the clamp I doubt it's the hose.

3. Aug 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM
    DriverSound

DriverSound Señor Member

Member:
    SoCaca
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB OR 4x4
    Too few to list.
    most likely a hair line crack on the radiator which is really hard to see. Drive around until operating temp is reached and then check where the leak might be coming from.

4. Aug 15, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    mars

mars [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2001 PreRunner
    Flowmaster Super 50 Delta Flow, K&N 57-9016-1 FIPK Cold Air Intake
    hahaha!

Thanks guys

5. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:21 PM
    dstock

dstock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Camp Lejeune
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma double cab v6 4x4
    URD short throw shifter, halo projection headlights, 8000k hids in headlights and foglights. Made my own color matched satoshi with homertaco mesh.
    I had this same exact problem on my truck (and havint properly fixed it yet lol) but to diagnose the problem I rented a radiator pressure test kit at auto zone. All you have to do is connect the vacuum pump with the correct fitting to the filler neck on the radiator and pressurize it to 17.1 psi (according to the fsm) and your leak will appear. I jb welded mine where it was leaking and it held for 2 weeks and started leaking again so I am going to try to solder the leak and if that doesn't work then I guess I will bite the bullet and by a new radiator. Since I still have the original radiator at 195k miles I probably need a new one anyways. Funny thing is this leak did not appear until after I flushed my radiator. Sorry for the poor punctuation and jumbled up reply, I am on my phone. I hope this helps OP. One more thing, 17.1 psi is the max pressure that your cooling system should maintain I could only get mine to 12ish psi before I found the leak.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top